AGP card with DVI...

mis3

Gawd
Joined
Jul 4, 2000
Messages
827
Just bought a new Dell 1905FP. So far so good but I am using a VGA cable since my old Asus V8200 (GeForce-3) does not have a DVI output.

I am looking for a new AGP video card with DVI output. Need advices because even a medium cateogry AGP card will be wasteful in my system. I do mostly office applications and net surfing. I am looking for good display of text and pictures.

My PC: P4-2.2 GHz, 1 GB RDRAM, PSU: 350 W
 
I did some research. Are the following cards considered overkill for my system? I am running screen resolution of 1280 x 1024.

Sapphire Radeon 9600SE 128MB DDR $65 CAD
Sapphire Radeon 9600Pro Advantage 256MB DDR $107 CAD
Asus A9600GE/TD Radeon 9600 128MB DDR $96 CAD

Will any of these cards perform better than my old Asus V8200 (GeForce-3)?

One more question: Consider my applications, will DVI improve the image significantly over VGA?
 
The 9600SE would be just fine for you. Just about any cheap video card will do a resolution of 1280x1024.

I have no first-hand experience, but from what I've read, the DVI connection makes things much sharper and clearer. So yes, you should notice a difference in image quality.
 
Without a doubt, the 9600 will perform better than your GeForce 3.

Honestly though, I'd consider going for yet a cheaper card if you don't plan to spend any time in the gaming realm. Perhaps a Radeon 8500 or something similar.

Basically, any card past a GeForce 3 will possess DVI ability. If anything, VGA is being slightly phased out, as present on the GeForce 6800GT, which has 2 DVI ports, compared to the former standard of 1 DVI and a VGA port.
 
Back
Top