Advice : secure settings

muniraj

n00b
I am using win7 x 64bit and have MSE and spybot search and destroy installed. I have certain doubts for the system.

1. Which services must be stopped on system.
2. I have one service running for apple computer as ## id_string1.68.......
what exactly is that for.
3. which are the port that need to be blocked. (i use torrent)
4. how to run spybot search and destroy as admin at system startup.

thanks

1. You may want to stop the Tea Time on Spybot S&D, if it causes issues. That;s about it.
2. That is the Apple Bonjour service. You can fix the name of that service by reinstalling it.
3. Are you using the Windows Firewall? It should block any port you have not specifically allowed. IF you add a program as an exception it should open ports for that program as needed.
4. If you are running UAC on then starting Spybot S&D as admin will prompt on each boot, unless you run as a Scheduled Task, which I do not have time to get into right now.

windows firewall is set default on my machine. I like to know what are the vulnerable ports (or range of ports) that need to be always closed on the machine for security.

A firewall acts as a whitelist: Ports are blocked unless specified otherwise.

Honestly you could load up every possible anti malware program on your computer, but as long as you're downloading crap from torrents you're opening up yourself to just about anything possible.
In your case I'd turn the UAC slider all the way up. When in this setting it is proven to prevent rootkits from installing.

I am using win7 x 64bit and have MSE and spybot search and destroy installed. I have certain doubts for the system.

1. Which services must be stopped on system.
2. I have one service running for apple computer as ## id_string1.68.......
what exactly is that for.
3. which are the port that need to be blocked. (i use torrent)
4. how to run spybot search and destroy as admin at system startup.

thanks
1. None
2. no clue
3. Leave the firewall on. it will let you know whether a port needs to be opened or not
4. I don't suggest using 'teatimer' at all times. It gets in the way. It's usefull to remove malware that reinstalls itself but that's it.

Back