Advice on Very First Vista Boot.

I'm about to start Vista Home Premium for the first time. Having never used this OS before, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if there's any helpful hints y'all can offer to make sure things go as smoothly as possible. Not sure if this is a silly question but I'd rather look like a noobie and ask than make a mistake that could have been avoided. Not even sure if I should have the PC connected to the net at first. Anyway, any helpful words of advice would be appreciated.

Just boot it up and let it do it's thing.....first thing it will do is download about 138mb of updates. Just stand back and find something to do for about an hour. :cool:

Boot the PC and allow it to do the steps as outlined above… After multiple reboots, if you’re interested in getting some speed outta’ that over-fed, under coded O.S., look into this document:

http://extra.benchmarkmedia.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Audio_Playback_-_Setup_Guide

The link above is specifically tilted towards excellent audio throughput on Vista, but it’s utterly applicable as a whole for tweaking Vista so that it runs significantly quicker!

As for Antivirus: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-products/us/frt/0?prd=aff

The O.S. ships with a decent firewall and anti-spyware built-in.

Have fun man!

Andrew D.
www.cdnav.com

Boot the PC and allow it to do the steps as outlined above… After multiple reboots, if you’re interested in getting some speed outta’ that over-fed, under coded O.S., look into this document:

http://extra.benchmarkmedia.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Audio_Playback_-_Setup_Guide

The link above is specifically tilted towards excellent audio throughput on Vista, but it’s utterly applicable as a whole for tweaking Vista so that it runs significantly quicker!

www.cdnav.com

*this article was researched using Windows Vista Beta 2.

How are you going to link an article written about tweaking Vista Beta 2? Beta2 was a pig with the performance of a 70 year old hooker on Valiums. Of course it needed tweaking back then. Vista RTM is a far cry from Beta2, and SP1 much more so.

Yeah after SP1 it's about as reliable as a 50 year old hooker with AIDS and smoking crack. Best advice is to steer clear of the whole OS and use XP untill W7 comes. Or switch to Ubuntu.

Yeah... as said above, just boot it up and let it do it's thing. Give it a few days to settle down and I think you'll be very happy with it's performance. As far as "tweaking" is concerned, in most cases they cause more problems than they solve... just keep it updated and your good to go in my opinion...

Definitely, You're going to see vista running your hard drive almost constantly for the first couple of days. It is doing things like defragging in the background. The more you use it, the faster it will eventually become as superfetch learns your usage patterns. Once it passes this self tuning phase it should be noticeably quicker.

The recommended action for first boot on Vista is slap yourself silly for making the mistake! :D

Back