Advice on transitioning to Win7 in a new build

dderidex

Supreme [H]ardness
Here is the issue I have:

- I'm planning on a new system build
- Win7 releases on Oct 22
- Wife is visiting her family back East for Oct 6-13.
- Only window to build new system and get new OS install is thus more than a week before Win7 drops. (We share a system, and let's just say I'm not interested in dealing with her reaction if it's not available for production use for an extended time)

Obviously, a full week is plenty of time to get a new box built, OS installed, user accounts set up , all applications installed and configured, backups pulled over, etc. But the 'best' OS available at my only window is simply Vista!

I do have an MSDN subscription from work (which includes Win7), but I've rather tried to keep my work stuff separate from my home stuff. The real question, though, is if Win7 will include an easy way to swap licensing out. IE., could I install Win7 via MSDN license, and then swap out for my personal license when I buy it? Is there another way to do this? I'd obviously prefer to do the clean install on this box using Win7, just trying to figure out a way to do that.

Just download an RTM and hold off on registering it, using it in evaluation mode. You can extend the evaluation period to up to 120 days if necessary, which is more than enough time than you need.

Just download an RTM and hold off on registering it, using it in evaluation mode. You can extend the evaluation period to up to 120 days if necessary, which is more than enough time than you need.

I guess my concern was the note with those that have the same note as the 'trial version' just posted on the [H] front page:

Microsoft said:
Following the 90 day evaluation period, IT Pros who wish to continue to use Windows 7 Enterprise will be required to purchase and perform a clean installation of Windows 7, including drivers and applications

...that doesn't sound a lot like "just wait until entering your retail key" would work?

What happens if you have Win 7 Ultimate or Pro installed without the key, and then you enter in a key for Home Premium? Does it just smoothly disable the features or does it throw a shit fit?

I guess my concern was the note with those that have the same note as the 'trial version' just posted on the [H] front page:

...that doesn't sound a lot like "just wait until entering your retail key" would work?

That's different. This is ONLY for Win 7 Enterprise, and it's a public trial. The RTM you get from MSDN is for all versions, and it doesn't have to be activated right away. MSDN activation period = 30 days, while the W7 Enterprise version above has an activation period of 10 days.

What happens if you have Win 7 Ultimate or Pro installed without the key, and then you enter in a key for Home Premium? Does it just smoothly disable the features or does it throw a shit fit?

Doesn't let you activate. Says the key is invalid for that version of Windows.

That only pertains to the Enterprise edition (for whatever reason). For all other editions, you need only enter a key during the evaluation period. You will not have to reinstall.

You have 30 days to enter a key, but you can re-arm the evaluation period three more times for a maximum of 120 days.

If the MSDN subscription has your name on it, use it dude. You're the ONLY person that can use the stuff anyway.

I installed Home Premium with no key and then used Anytime Upgrade / MSDNAA key to go to Pro...see my post here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1441175&page=9

Didn't go real smoothly though. Not sure if I was supposed to use anytime upgrade + key that way.

Dunno if it would work as a downgrade though.

First, I'd spend some time explaining to your wife why it is a waste of time to get upset over trivial things. If my wife got mad at me for upgrading her computer, she'd be sitting out on the front porch at night, with that computer, waiting for her mom to pick her up.

Second, there's a simple solution. Download the .iso for the version you want from MDSN, and install it without the key. Then, assuming you'll buy W7, just pop that key into your install and activate it.

If the MSDN subscription has your name on it, use it dude. You're the ONLY person that can use the stuff anyway.

Sure, as long as I'm employed at the company. With the current economy? I'd hardly feel like having to add "reinstalling my OS" at the same time as I'm looking for a job if the company did cutbacks in my department, now, would I?

That's different. This is ONLY for Win 7 Enterprise, and it's a public trial. The RTM you get from MSDN is for all versions, and it doesn't have to be activated right away. MSDN activation period = 30 days, while the W7 Enterprise version above has an activation period of 10 days.

That's for 100% sure? I have access to a discounted rate for it, so will be picking up Win 7 Ultimate, anyway. If the "all versions" MSDN version will transition smoothly to Win 7 Ultimate, I should be golden.

First, I'd spend some time explaining to your wife why it is a waste of time to get upset over trivial things. If my wife got mad at me for upgrading her computer, she'd be sitting out on the front porch at night, with that computer, waiting for her mom to pick her up.

Well I'm not quite being entirely forthright about the reason for the OS change with her. Let's just say...the new PC I'm building will fit nicely inside the current case cover we have. :cool:

That's for 100% sure? I have access to a discounted rate for it, so will be picking up Win 7 Ultimate, anyway. If the "all versions" MSDN version will transition smoothly to Win 7 Ultimate, I should be golden.

Yes. As others have said, install the version you want to buy, and put in your key after Oct 22.

Back