Admin Service Install 4.0 Prerelease Test

turmelle

[H]ard|Gawd
I updated the admin_service installer to client version 4.0. Would like someone else to test this before I replace the current installer. I used it to update my machines but you never know.

http://home.comcast.net/~bturmelle/admin_service40.zip

If you installed with the previous installer you should just have to enter this from a cmd prompt:

call update computername

or

Double click on "update_this_computer.cmd" to update the computer you're on.

All my WU continued where they left off so there doesn't appear to be any concern for losing WU.

I also found out this doesn't work with XP Home. XP Home doesn't default to adding the administrative share for C$ which is the C drive. I didn't notice many complaints so I'm guessing most people here were smart enough to get XP Pro. :D

turmelle,

In the readme.txt file you wrote:
The client.cfg files must be edited to have your user name.
DO NOT USE NOTEPAD OR WRITE! These will add carriage returns to the file.
Use a text editor such as textpad from http://www.textpad.com
I thought that Notepad didn't do that.

Also, if I've got boxen running the Graphic client. Any suggestions how to switch over to the console service so as not to loose partially completed WUs?

80000.gif

Just tested this on my home network, and it's telling me that the computers I've specified aren't there.

I've tried using their names case sensitive and insensitive, to no avail.

Any idea what could be blocking this?

I don't want to try this at work yet (1000+ machines) without knowing if it works on a smaller scale.

Originally posted by Abuse
Just tested this on my home network, and it's telling me that the computers I've specified aren't there.

I don't want to try this at work yet (1000+ machines) without knowing if it works on a smaller scale.

Which OS? You also need to be logged in as a user with Administrative privelages on the other machines.

Originally posted by Celerator
turmelle,

In the readme.txt file you wrote:

I thought that Notepad didn't do that.

Also, if I've got boxen running the Graphic client. Any suggestions how to switch over to the console service so as not to loose partially completed WUs?

80000.gif

I guess notepad works but since it displays all on one line people are tempted to break lines apart and/or remove the "[]" looking characters.

For moving WU around you should be able to copy the "work" directory and queue.dat to the new directory.

What does the 'net view' command show you? (assuming Win NT/2K/XP)

2K Pro SP4 on all machines at home.

net view shows both machines that I connected to test it, all in upper case.

I'll admit the detection is rather weak (DOS script). It's simply looking for the "Program Files" folder, but it's also a sign of not having administrative privelages or sharing is disabled.

if EXIST "\\%1\c$\Program Files\" (
goto machineok
) else (
goto machineunknown
)

Go into Computer Magagement and look under "System Tools | Shared Folders | Shares". You should see "C$" as a default share.

Admin privilages I have, BUT, its not a domain here its a workgroup I'm running, could this be causing it a problem?

1 local admin account for each machine with different names and passwords.

Admin privilages I have, BUT, its not a domain here its a workgroup I'm running, could this be causing it a problem?

1 local admin account for each machine with different names and passwords.

You don't need a domain, but the different accounts is a problem. They would need a common administrator name/pass.

You can still run the install locally on each machine. Copy the files to a pen drive or network share and run the "install_this_computer.cmd".

Works fine now

I *slightly* neglected to get off my ass and check see if the machine was on :D

Oh and at work it'll be fine, think I've got several domain admin accounts that I use :)

Back