"Adjust video color settings" won't save

tiuk

Weaksauce
The other day I went to play an .avi, and the gamma was way off. I checked the video color settings in the nvidia drivers (91.47 on an XFX 7950 GT) and the gamma setting was at -8%. I adjusted it to 6% and it looked great. I then exited the nvidia control panel, opened an AVI, and the color looked terrible like it had before. I opened up the control panel again, and the gamma had reverted to -8%. I tried setting it multiple times, and each time it always reverted back. How can I force it to save my settings?

[edit]And yes, I'm hitting "Apply" after I've changed the setting.

I'm having an issue with those settings as well, although my situation is a bit different. When I watch any kind of video (including a DVD) on my PC the image is washed out - too bright. As soon as I open the nVidia control panel, though (before actually clicking on anything) the image changes to be too dark - just the act of opening the control panel causes the gamma to "update". I keep changing the setting for RGB gamma to 15% (which seems to work best for my setup), but even though I apply it, next time I watch a video the same thing happens - video too bright (gamma much higher than 15%), then go into the control panel (gamma too low) and find that gamma has reset itself to somewhere between 8% and 10%. If I leave it alone and just exit and go back in it usually goes down by 1, but bottoms out at 8%.

It's weird. I've had gamma issues with the last few driver releases but nothing like this one, since the previous ones I've been able to work around. I'm going to try to re-install the drivers tonight to see if that helps, but if you've made any progress with your issue (which may or may not be related to mine, hard to tell) let me know!

Ray

Did you adjust the movie multimedis part. There's the desktop display, and then the movie section. I had similiar issues on my LCD and is fixed now.

Yep - I don't bother with the desktop colour section, for whatever reason it's only video that is too dark. Games and the desktop are typically fine.

Just for fun, I set the "video colour settings" -> "RGB gamma" to 20%, applied the setting, and closed it. Without watching a video, I immediately went back in and it was set to 19%. I touched nothing except the close button, went back in and it was 18%. Ditto, it's now 17%.

I'm baffled by this behaviour. Is it possible that nobody else having a similar issue? I'm running 97.44 with an 8800 GTS card on XP Pro.

Ray

There are all kinds of weird issues with both the Desktop color settings and video overlay color settings. They've been broken/flaky for several driver releases now and they don't seem to be a priority to fix for nVidia.

I had "resetting gamma" issue w/ quite a few cats, but at least the GAME gamma setting stuck. I don't even see a game gamma setting in NV 97.44. There's a desktop # that def helps there, but nothing for game. BF2142's wayyyy to dark.

Video gamma resets itself back too as .avi's get all nice 'n' dark again. So what are you guys using for video? Riva, Powerstrip, ATT?

Back