Adding 2nd Hard Drive?

RROMAN

n00b
My friend is going to give me and extra hard drive he has (40 Gig, I believe). Currently I have a 30 Gig 7200rpm installed. Is it possible to install this hard drive as an additional drive for storage? I have never installed 2 hard drives on one computer before, so excuse my noobness. Is there any reason I shouldnt install it if I can? Please give me as much advise as possible. thanks.

Yeah, you can either slave it to the primary hard drive or put it on its own channel. Typically people have two IDE channels on board that support two drives apeice, with the second channel most often used for optical drives.

Set the jumpers on the back of the hard drive to the 'slave' position and connect it to the same cable as the primary hard drive.

The wide cable that plugs into your current drive should have a second connector on it. This cable is the IDE cable and the open connector will only fit one way on the new drive. Also, the drive will need to be jumpered to the slave position. The jumper is the small rectangular block on the back of the drive shorting two pins together. It can be moved via a pair of tweezers or the like. The new drive should be jumpered into the "Slave" position. If there is no jumper chart on the drive (there usually are), go to the drive manufacturer's website and look it up. You will also want to hook up the power connector (the Molex) - this has two black wires, one red, and one yellow, and will only fit one way in the drive. When you get into Windows (I am assuming you are using XP), enter Disk Management and format the harddrive through that. Have fun.

Great, man I really appreciate your help and your patience with a newbie like me. Thanks for the detailed info.

Back