Add memory reactivate Winblows????

Moose777

2[H]4U
What-The-Fuck?

I add memory to my rig and I'm told to reactivate Windows? Umm ok...why?

Not only that but to add insult to injury I'm told that my key has been used one too many times on the same rig so now I have to get another key from Microsoft?

So I call them. And I get chewed out because they think I'm stealing their product and am trying to install it on more than one machine. They even asked me how many machines I was installing it on. They asked me 4 times. And each time the answer was the same. "The same machine I've always had it installed on. I have 2 copies of XP Home and each one is installed on their machines respectively."

Actually, I have 3 but one is an OEM from my HP turned Asus. But when I redid the HP I bought a retial version of Home just so I didn't reuse the OEM version.

Are they serious?

I got it activated. No more CD key for me. Instead, next week when I add my third gig of RAM I have to call them back to have it reactivated again.

I can understand protecting your product. But give me a break. This is rediculous.

i'm with you on that, it pisses me off to, I think they went a little too far on this one. I have had to reactivate windows to. I wish there was some way to edit that WPA.LBA file in the system32 folder so that everytime you upgrade the damn thing won't ask for a reactivation.

Now there have been times when I do complete system overhauls and it doesn't ask for reactivation, but it has happened to me a few times when doing other smaller things.

Yeah..Someone at my work did an install on a new machine..somehow borked up the install and didnt make a ghost (Thank god).

So I go to do a fresh install, reactivate..WTF? The hardware hasnt changed or anything. I thought they create a special code for your hardware set. Since it didnt change, shouldnt it not have prompted me to reactivate. Stupid stupid.

I also share your pain. there was a time I was testing some memory for a friend. so I installed his 2 x 512 with my 2 x 512 and upon restart was asked to re-activate windows. on top of that I had to call MS as well, I explained what happened and got the third degree. It's so much BS. I can understand a need for protection, but they need protection that actually works.

Live with it. It's not going to go away. I've reformated and upgraded many times without having to call them.

Aren't you special. ^^^^^

I don't care if it's not going to go away. What I'm irritated about is being grilled on the subject like I've broken some sort of law saying I can not upgrade my rig.

I'm also irritated in teh fact that I can only use the product basically once.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels cheated or slighted when they pay $100+ for an OS and are told after they change something in their rig to call MS to get teh product you bought legally reactivated.

I have never had to activate once, and I dont think I ever will...:)

But yeah, its crap allright.....

Hrm... Never had a problem yet with activation on over web or on the phone when the automated attendent rejects the installation code. :p

This may help some of you:
When you activate Windows XP, Microsoft stores the data in the Windows Product Activation database files wpa.dbl and Wpa.bak in the folder %systemroot%\system32. If you change the motherboard or make significant hardware changes, XP will require you to reactive. But if you plan to reinstall XP on the same hardware, you can back up the activation status and then restore it after you reinstall and avoid the activation process.

While it's strange that XP prompted you to reactivate, when you get a cockbag on the phone you hang up, call right back, and get to talk to someone who doesn't have sand in their vagina.

Life lessons here folks.

heh, anyone who changes out computer hardware on a weekly basis--which used to be me--will find themselves being asked that question. In fact, I was asked the question so many times, I'd answer it before asked by their call people. Still, my copy was only on one machine always.

Yeah, it's annoying but all you have to do is spend 5-10 mins on the phone. You have 30 days to do this. Most people have 5 minutes of free time at least once during a 30 day period.

Moose777 said:
I don't care if it's not going to go away. What I'm irritated about is being grilled on the subject like I've broken some sort of law saying I can not upgrade my rig.

I'm also irritated in teh fact that I can only use the product basically once.
You can use the product as many times as you want, as long as it's only used on one machine at a time.

If the tech/indian you get on the phone thinks you're trying to install the software illegally, simply hang up and call again for someone else. I've had to call dozens of times to activate, and only once did I have to hang up and call again (they said they wouldn't support an OEM disc).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels cheated or slighted when they pay $100+ for an OS and are told after they change something in their rig to call MS to get teh product you bought legally reactivated.
Blame people who pirate their software. Microsoft is only trying to prevent piracy. Having to call to get it activated isn't that big of an inconvience really.

ChingChang said:
Yeah, it's annoying but all you have to do is spend 5-10 mins on the phone. You have 30 days to do this. Most people have 5 minutes of free time at least once during a 30 day period.

You can use the product as many times as you want, as long as it's only used on one machine at a time.

If the tech/indian you get on the phone thinks you're trying to install the software illegally, simply hang up and call again for someone else. I've had to call dozens of times to activate, and only once did I have to hang up and call again (they said they wouldn't support an OEM disc).

Blame people who pirate their software. Microsoft is only trying to prevent piracy. Having to call to get it activated isn't that big of an inconvience really.

Activation has nothing to do with preventing piracy.Microsoft isn't stupid - they knew it would get cracked the second it was released. Activation is only there to force families and others to purchase a copy of XP for every single computer in their house, instead of using the same copy for all machines as nearly everyone did with earlier Windows. Money Talks.

...and usually, if I know I'm gonna mess around with more hardware, I'll wait until the damn thing wont let me into windows unless I register lol.

Hvatum said:
Activation has nothing to do with preventing piracy.Microsoft isn't stupid - they knew it would get cracked the second it was released. Activation is only there to force families and others to purchase a copy of XP for every single computer in their house, instead of using the same copy for all machines as nearly everyone did with earlier Windows. Money Talks.
Ok, maybe I should have said it was designed to prevent installations that violated MS Liscencing Agreement, or something.

Or copyright infringement.

It doesn't matter though, that wasn't even my point.

ChingChang said:
Ok, maybe I should have said it was designed to prevent installations that violated MS Liscencing Agreement, or something.

You said:

"Blame people who pirate their software."

But yeah, "Pirates" in the traditional sense of the word are not the reason for activation. Activation wasn't desinged to stop Hax0r_2887 from downloading and cracking Windows. It was designed to get the guy who wants to install windows on his son's computer so he can do his schoolwork and force him to buy an extra copy of Windows. Does a company already earning billions of dollars every year deserve to profit that extra amount from people who are practically forced into buying their software anyway?

I won't touch that question with a ten foot pole! But my point is clear. The people targeted by Microsoft's activation program are not elite cracking teams - they are everyday citizens who just want to get their work done at a minimum of hassle and expense. When the majority of citizens become criminals it's usually the law which is at fault, not the citizens imho.

ChingChang said:

yep.

"The Windows XP Product Activation Code is based on a combination of 10 system hardware settings, including CPU, NIC card, RAM, Video card, sound card, etc., If your machine has a PCMCIA slot (most laptops), you can change 9 of the 10 items before you need to reactivate XP. For most desktop systems, you can change up to six items, however changing the same component repeatedly counts only as one change. Also, adding additional components doesn't count as a change. If you purchased a new PC with Windows XP preloaded from the manufacturer, the product ID is linked to the BIOS, so you can technically change as many hardware components as you wish, as long as you don't change the system BIOS."

It wasn't the RAM... adding a component doesn't even count as a change.

kumquat said:
"The Windows XP Product Activation Code is based on a combination of 10 system hardware settings, including CPU, NIC card, RAM, Video card, sound card, etc., If your machine has a PCMCIA slot (most laptops), you can change 9 of the 10 items before you need to reactivate XP. For most desktop systems, you can change up to six items, however changing the same component repeatedly counts only as one change. Also, adding additional components doesn't count as a change. If you purchased a new PC with Windows XP preloaded from the manufacturer, the product ID is linked to the BIOS, so you can technically change as many hardware components as you wish, as long as you don't change the system BIOS."

It wasn't the RAM... adding a component doesn't even count as a change.
It must. Because when I changed out my Motherboard about a month ago I had to reinstall and reactivate Windows. And then last night I added another stick of RAM and I had to reactivate Windows again. I honestly don't know where you got that from but I feel that it's wrong. I'm not doubting that it was from Microsoft announcement or something but I changed two things at two different times about a month apart and I was prompted to reactivate Windows both times.

And to the person who said they give you 30 days to reactivate. Wrong. I was prompted on my screen that I had 3 days to reactivate Windows. I also spent about 20 minutes on the phone with them last night. And the time before that I was on the phone with them for an hour. And the time before that when I originally built the computer I used the key once, had to redo a part of my Mobo and uninstalled it then had to reinstall Windows and I had to call and get a new key and was on the phone with them for 2 hours.

Changing the motherboard SHOULD require a reactivation, since that contains the system BIOS.

Adding RAM will not force you to activate Windows. Who knows what happened.

As a computer tech, i have to deal with Microsoft activation about 3-4 times a week. Sometimes adding a big amount of memory, around a gig or so, is enough to make you have to reactivate your product. If you have to call, its not that big of a hassle, it takes about 10 minutes every time- just tell them you reformatted your harddrive because of viruses, they normally don't ask too many questions.

I would assume hardware reviewers have to go through this as well. They do fresh installs and change hardware more than anybody.

Its interesting I have never personally read Kyle or anyone else say it was a problem.

riot8ap said:
I would assume hardware reviewers have to go through this as well. They do fresh installs and change hardware more than anybody.

Its interesting I have never personally read Kyle or anyone else say it was a problem.

It wouldn't make sense for them to activate. It's not like they're going to be testing the machine for 30-days. Unless Brent finds a really good game he just has to perpetually "benchmark" for weeks on end. :p

I dunno, but to me it is a hassle. I don't want to have to jump through the hoops to use the product I've licensed from them. I sat on the phone with them for 20 minutes last night. And got grilled about why I needed to reactivate my copy. And was told repeatedly that I'm not allowed to install it on more than one machine. And I had to continuously tellt hem I wasn't, that I just added a gig of ram and that's it. I had to explain this to them 4 times.

I could honestly care less about having to reactivate it. What bothers me is that I'm treated like a criminal by MS everytime I want to do something to my computer, or everytime I add a piece of ahrdware or change something.

And now I have to go through this again next week when I get my other gig of memory. Or when I upgrade my sound card next year. Or add my second 7800GTx in a few months.

It does matter, I've had it change by swapping out RAM as well. I really don't give a shit about what microsoft does here, I bought the product, knowing this was going to happen, if I didn't want to accept that, I wouldn't have bought it. If it's true they're going to have you "subscribe" to next OSes from them, they can take a hike IMO. I've had to call MS a number of times to get my key re-activated, I was never hassled about it, I just told them I added new hardware, and they gave me a new number set. They did ask my twice how many comps I had..... It is a PITA, but there is always Linux, which has it's issues with being a pain as well.

ChingChang said:

As my borther's GF always says "Time is my most valuable resource, I would like to spend it well". Being on the phone with MS doesn't apply to 'time well spent'. Seriously, companies should start PAYING me for being on the phone and holding to wait to talk to someone to support their product. Anyway..

On Topic: it is rather weird that MS asked you to reactivate for RAM :/ Ususally you have a bunch of changes that you are allowed to do before it will ask for reactivation. Very awkward indeed.

I kind of like calling MS. Seems like I end up doing it every 6 months or so, and then I'm good for a few re-activations. I upgrade and format a lot.

I just consider it my "biannual cultural enrichment session". Each time I call, I get to decipher the numbers the customer service rep is reading back to me in english in a different accent. I'd love to be able to hear my accent through someone else's ears :)

Moose777 said:
It must. Because when I changed out my Motherboard about a month ago I had to reinstall and reactivate Windows.
If you used the same key after changing the motherboard, you are in the wrong, because it's illegal.
MS OEM Builder FAQ said:
"Q. Can a PC with OEM Windows XP have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer's computer and the end user may maintain the license for the original Microsoft® OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the end-user license agreement (EULA) and the support of the software covered by that EULA. The EULA is a set of usage rights granted to the end-user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on for that particular PC. The System Builder is required to support that license the software on that individual PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PC with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original System Builder, therefore, can not be expected to support this new PC that they in effect, did not manufacture."
Source: https://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=553075

sarbz said:
man....I've had A LOT of defective mobos ;)
Haven't we all? We should really get on those mobo manafacturers... cos... they're making us do illegal things! :eek:

sarbz said:
I kind of like calling MS. Seems like I end up doing it every 6 months or so, and then I'm good for a few re-activations. I upgrade and format a lot.

I just consider it my "biannual cultural enrichment session". Each time I call, I get to decipher the numbers the customer service rep is reading back to me in english in a different accent. I'd love to be able to hear my accent through someone else's ears :)

Heh. My g/f is from india, I even went there last Dec to meet her parents(yeah during the tsunami). I still have trouble trying to understand the tech support people. Maybe it is because I am used to my g/f and her friends indian accent, but the accent most of these people use is a weird hodge podge of an attempt at trying to immitate an american accent. We have a proffesor at my university who tries to do that and it makes her even harder to understand rather than easier. I dunno... I know I have a strong southern accent, which has given me shit at other chemistry confrences, but my g/f likes it so hey. I just think maybe they should try using more naitve accents. I dunno could be jsut me.

Hvatum said:
d00d sorry if u find my opinion condesecending, it was not so intended at all. clarification not disagreement
I just felt you were going on about something that didn't even matter.

And OP, if it is taking you over 20 minutes on the phone, maybe you are doing something wrong. I've done it dozens of times and the average is around 5 minutes.

Hm, I've changed mobo's, cpu's, primary and master hd's, and videocards several times and never was told I needed a new key. The only things I haven't changed are minor things like soundcard, ram and optical drives. Like all things windows it's probably random.

Eulogy said:
If you used the same key after changing the motherboard, you are in the wrong, because it's illegal.

Keyword in there is OEM. My copy of XP is not OEM. So therefore, it doesn't apply.

It will fall under the hardware upgrade category which isn't necessarily a replacement.

That is however, how I interpretted it and your results may vary.

And besides, I told the guy last night that I had upgraded the mobo about a month ago and I didn't get any flak.

And furthermore. If that was actually the case than everyone of us would be at some type of fault at one point in our PC Building/Modding lives cause I can guarantee everyone of us here have cooked a mobo and not gotten a new key.

Eulogy said:

and as long as you don't have the OS installed on more than one machine at any given time you are not violating the EULA.....

bu i agree..MS is so anal.........i had to reinstall windows at a lan party once (wasted a good 2 hours reinstall windows/games :( )
and i actually had to walk halfway around the building to find a signal on my cell phone to call MS because they just suck THAT bad....

not to mention i had to write down the code they gave me on a rock......yes..ON THE ROCK.......it was very hard to read........but thats my fault for forgetting paper :p

kumquat said:
Changing the motherboard SHOULD require a reactivation, since that contains the system BIOS.

Adding RAM will not force you to activate Windows. Who knows what happened.

I bought a 512mb stick for my friend for his bday not too long ago. Upon reboot it asked for reactivation. That was the only update his computer has recieved in many months.

In short, you are mistaken.

Hvatum said:

Installing windows 98 on all 3 of your home PC's when you only bought 1 liscense...... THAT IS PIRACY. :rolleyes:

I'm not pro Microsoft by any means. I lught at people who complain that they are forced into using windows. If you don't like it..... write your own.

oakfan52 said:
Installing windows 98 on all 3 of your home PC's when you only bought 1 liscense...... THAT IS PIRACY. :rolleyes:

I'm not pro Microsoft by any means. I lught at people who complain that they are forced into using windows. If you don't like it..... write your own.
Seriously....aside from the fact that it takes 5 minutes or less to re-activate, it's not a hassle at all. It's Microsoft trying to protect their work....as others have mentioned, time is avaluable asset. Microsoft develoeprs put a lot of time into XP, so they have a right to protect it.

If all you're going to do is bitch and whine about a simple process, and stoop to the childish levels of referring to it as Winblows (funny back in '98...not since though), then move your mouse cursor up to the top, under the Linux threads. Am I being an ass when I say this? Sure, but use a tiny little bit of common sense. Just a little bit. If you don't like how Coke tastes, are you still going to drink it? No...you go buy another brand. If you don't like Windows...use Linux and stop whining about people trying to protect their hard work.

Back