AD/DC Gurus!

Chiggy

Weaksauce
We had two '00 Server DC's in our network. I have taken down one to upgrade to '03. Installed '03 and go to promote the DC and pull the info from the '00 server. I ran adprep /forest and /domain but I still get the new DC saying the forest insn't compatible. Any ideas?

Chiggy said:
We had two '00 Server DC's in our network. I have taken down one to upgrade to '03. Installed '03 and go to promote the DC and pull the info from the '00 server. I ran adprep /forest and /domain but I still get the new DC saying the forest insn't compatible. Any ideas?

Just to confirm, you run Adprep from the 2003 CD on a 2000 DC?

You must make sure that when you run adprep you specify adprep located on the 2003 CD and this must be done on a 2000 DC.

'03 R2 with Service Pack 1 and all updates.

Yes I ran adprep off the '03 cd on the 00 DC. The adprep logs show that it worked without any errors. Also if I try to run the adprep command again it doesn't let me saying it was already successfully ran.

Maybe the '00 DC still think the other 00 DC is still around and since I didn't run adprep on that machine it doesn't think everything has been updated properly? I dunno.

Now, i don't know if i remember correctly, but when i installed our forest with mixed 2000/2003 machines as AD controllers, wasn't there an option for the windows 2003 ADC to be backwards compatible with 2000 ad forests? Maybe you missed that option and you have it in it's own exclusive mode?

Forgive me if i'm wrong, but last time i did this was a looooong time ago.

Chiggy said:
Maybe the '00 DC still think the other 00 DC is still around and since I didn't run adprep on that machine it doesn't think everything has been updated properly? I dunno.

That is a possibility,how did you "take down" the other 2000 DC?
Did you demote the other 2000 DC prior to removing it from the network?
Why didn't you simply perform an inplace upgrade of the DCs?

SJConsultant said:
That is a possibility,how did you "take down" the other 2000 DC?
Did you demote the other 2000 DC prior to removing it from the network?
Why didn't you simply perform an inplace upgrade of the DCs?

I demoted it but I wanted to reformat. There was a bunch of old backup software stuff on it and some other crap that I wanted totally gone. DNS for both machines are pointing to the '00 DC which is also running DNS. I have installed DNS on the new machine and did a zone transfer to it though.

ScYcS said:
Now, i don't know if i remember correctly, but when i installed our forest with mixed 2000/2003 machines as AD controllers, wasn't there an option for the windows 2003 ADC to be backwards compatible with 2000 ad forests? Maybe you missed that option and you have it in it's own exclusive mode?

Forgive me if i'm wrong, but last time i did this was a looooong time ago.

In some reading I did I came upon something that said that an '03 DC/AD's defualt setting is '00 mode. Could running adprep have ruined this now or something? Is there anyway I can just install AD without synching the two and then synch after it is installed?

One workaround is to perform a full backup of your current DC, then do an inplace upgrade of Server 2000 to Server 2003 which should upgrade your AD. Once that is completed you should be able to dcpromo your other server.

Going along the same lines, what if I reinstall the 03 server with 00 run dcpromo then update that one. That way there is one good server incase this one screws up for some reason. :p

My new Dell Server came with a second W2K3 cd that had a different forest prep for R2. Did yours come with an additional disk? (first disk had the install files)

Chiggy said:
Going along the same lines, what if I reinstall the 03 server with 00 run dcpromo then update that one. That way there is one good server incase this one screws up for some reason. :p

You also do that as well, although when AD gets screwed up, it tends to replicate to other DCs ;-).

poohster said:
My new Dell Server came with a second W2K3 cd that had a different forest prep for R2. Did yours come with an additional disk? (first disk had the install files)

When we had a similar problem, we found the above also true; the R2 2nd disk has a diffferent foreset prep util.

There were 2cd's for R2. I will have to see if there is another adprep on the 2nd disk before I reinstall.

The adprep on the second R2 is your fix. Drove me batty for about an hour.

I was installing a new DC in a 2003 native domain with all 2003 DCs with Exchange 2003 already up and running. I was pulling my hair out as to why I neded to run adprep. R2 adds some new schema information.

Back