'Active X', Idiot Exploiter, M$ & streaming video

videobruce

Limp Gawd
I didn't know where to put this since it could fall under a few topics.

Please enlighten me on 'Active X' controls (other than connecting the term to 'viruses') regarding streaming video. Namely, CCTV (closed circuit television) cameras via Internet access and the need to use 'Active X' to either view and/or control remote CCTV cameras and equipment.

From some initial investigation, it appears that to access any CCTV equipment that has web access you need to run 'Active X' scripts. I'm also told these only work in Idiot Exploiter (which is a immediate negative).
Which brings the questions;

1. Is 'Active X a M$ 'product' (for lack of a better term)?
2. If so, how about using other browsers (Opera or Mozilla/Firefox)?

Is it really necessary to start a thread like that? Why not just ask the freakin question without all the M$ - Idiot Exploiter crap?

Since MS & IE are "crap", yes it is. Another example where a company 'locks' out compitition unnecessary.

Since MS & IE are "crap", yes it is. Another example where a company 'locks' out compitition unnecessary.

If you feel that way buy a CCTV solution that doesn't use ActiveX for its web interface.

I know there are units out there that use Java.

IE7 is currently one of the safest browsers and works very well. It has been proven by numerous companies to have less exploits than firefox currently...

Maybe if you stop calling it an idiot someone will actually want to answer your question, or maybe you could just use freaking google or is that idiot gargoyle as well?

And to be nice I will say, Yes it is a technology from MS, and no it is not natively supported on any other browser. ActiveX Controls are used to run programs through IE and Windows on your computer that interact with the web, most companies include ActiveX and Java versions since Java can accomplish a similar thing (though not usually as well as ActiveX controls) on other browsers.

There are certain ActiveX Controls that can work in Firefox and other browsers though, there is some way that publishers can get them to work I believe (although I do not know for sure).
This might help with that: http://kb.mozillazine.org/ActiveX

And they say the whole insecure thing on that page, but it is really like that with most of these web apps. Java is notorious for having security holes.

Finally, companies have a choice. No one HAS to use ActiveX Controls, it is just an option. They decided to put it into their product for a reason and you as a consumer can find alternatives (like Java client webcams...). MS does not have it natively on other browsers since it is their technology and they do not make the other browsers. ActiveX is more tied in with the whole explorer app (which is the backbone to a good deal of things in Windows) and is not just IE.

Back