Acoustic Wave Prevents Game Addiction?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Get this, a Korean company says they have developed a device that makes gamers stop playing by playing a sound bite (telling the gamer to stop playing) up to 20,000 a second. I hate to break it to those guys but a device that nags you to stop playing video games 20,000 times a second has already been invented…it’s called a “wife”.

"We incorporated messages into an acoustic sound wave telling gamers to stop playing. The messages are told 10,000 to 20,000 times per second, Xtive President Yun Yun-hae said. ``Game users cant recognize the sounds. But their subconscious is aware of them and the chances are high they will quit playing, the 35-year-old Yun said. "Tests tell us the sounds work."

So if I take this same sound file.. modify it to be slightly different and interject it into the sims.. can I then get to spend more time with my GF doing the things I want to do? I mean all I will need to do is decompress the wafe form and find the frequency that it is happening at and put it into the game as a common sound call right? :)

I hate to break it to those guys but a device that nags you to stop playing video games 20,000 times a second has already been invented…it’s called a “wife”.

HAHAHAHA... Amen to that.

Why do they consider this an addiction? If a person doesn't have enough self restraint then he should go the way of the Darwin theory :)

Now they need to put it in HGTV signal, telling my wife to have sex with me instead of trying to figure out what crap to spend my money on next....:eek: ;)

this doesn't test anything, if you play a 16khz tone for extended periods of time you will want to get away from it too. Repetitive sounds are annoying that is all this proves.

Get this, a Korean company says they have developed a device that makes gamers stop playing by playing a sound bite (telling the gamer to stop playing) up to 20,000 a second. I hate to break it to those guys but a device that nags you to stop playing video games 20,000 times a second has already been invented…it’s called a “wife”.

Steve , well put sir. The "Wife" device works far better and offers sex as a distraction!

Steve , well put sir. The "Wife" device works far better and offers sex as a distraction!

you're thinking of "new wife". "wife" or "old wife" offers housework as a distraction.

Hmm…. I am really suspicious of this. The article says that the gamers can’t actually hear the sound, so I doubt it is the annoyance factor. If it does work, I bet that they gamers can hear it and it is simply annoying… A kitchen timer, stop watch, or alarm clock could accomplish the same function.

If it is not audible, I doubt it really works. If it were this simple, we could just build lighters for crack heads that say repeatedly say “put down the rocks!” and no more hard drug users!!

The bottom line is that addiction is MUCH more complex. Games are addictive in the same way that gambling, sex, overeating, and marijuana are. People do it because it offers pleasure. Our brain instinctively tells us to continue doing anything that causes us pleasure. The difference between users (average gamers, occasional pot smokers, and people who enjoy ice cream every now and then) and abusers (the fat guy who died after a week long gaming session, crack addicts, and the morbidly obese) is their ability to use will power and self control while looking at the bigger picture.

Obviously, if you stay at home playing WOW all day, and you loose your job, you won’t be able to continue paying for your subscription, electricity, ext. Same thing with the alcoholic who stays home drinking….. if he really enjoyed drinking so much, he would continue going to work so he could afford to buy booz and drink afterwards.

Addition is not a problem with the game, or the substance. Little sound files aren’t going to solve the problem. Addiction results from extremely lazy people who lack willpower and common sense. Better parenting which results in people not turning into complete idiots is a much better solution for all forms of addiction.

As a final note, some people ARE genetically predisposed to addiction (to anything really. It seems that some people inherit an addictive personality). Evidence is beginning to show that they are really just predisposed to laziness and a lack of willpower, which results in addiction. That and these people’s parents, having an addictive personality themselves, did a poor job of parenting and passed those undesirable traits onto their children.

So, this means that alcoholism doesn’t run in the family… laziness and a lack of willpower, combined with poor parenting, runs in the family. Who knows, twenty years from now researchers could be talking about how gaming addiction runs in someone’s family.

Hearing the sound of an AWP blast every .1247378 seconds in Counterstrike:Source is enough to drive me from the game.

I hate to break it to those guys but a device that nags you to stop playing video games 20,000 times a second has already been invented…it’s called a “wife”.

Now they need to put it in HGTV signal, telling my wife to have sex with me instead of trying to figure out what crap to spend my money on next....:eek: ;)

"wife" or "old wife" offers housework as a distraction.

I have just realized that others suffer in the same way as me! I'll be happier knowing I'm not the only one with a game-hating, HGTV watching, money spending, interior designing, work assigning wife on my hands.

I would put this in the same realm as the "brown note". I dont believe it.

whoever these guys conned into giving them money for this really need their heads examined. If something is repeating 20,000 times a second, by very definition it is at least 20,000Hz. And the range of human hearing is typically cut off much lower than that. This is quite an amusing piece of BS. It's amazing what con-artists can still get away with in this day and age. Where are peoples' brains?!?!

All you need is a Celine Dion record playing in the background. Same effect. It has nothing to do with your subconscious.

Who wants to listen to shit music when they try to blow peoples brains out on CS:S or BF2? I want some powerman 5000 playing in the background.

Thank God my wife doesn't know about [H]ardOCP.

Steppo, this is your wife! So this is where you spend all of your time! As your wife I want to know what you're up to on here.

-Your wife.

They should make a code where the game renders the frames differently after a few hours and people would get nauseous. I know there's some FPS games that I get nauseous in, but I have no idea why because there's a bunch more that I don't get nauseous in. All I know is, no matter how fun that game is, I never play it for longer than 2hr. I'm pretty sure they can find out how to make one that would effect the majority of the population. The urge to hurl makes me stop real quick.

I have just realized that others suffer in the same way as me! I'll be happier knowing I'm not the only one with a game-hating, HGTV watching, money spending, interior designing, work assigning wife on my hands.
heh you are in the majority.

Sounds like a good ole fashioned subliminal message to me. Nothing new here, just a new implementation.

Back