ACL + Napp-it Sharing files

Joined
Oct 7, 2009
Messages
821
I just recently started running an all-in-one box based on Gea’s tutorial and I was wondering what workaround people were using for the Windows 7 Ultimate/entry level editions ACL sharing problems? I have two HTPC’s using both running windows ultimate/WMC and I didn’t want to give them complete access by setting them as an administrator because I just want the files to be read only because the computer automatically logs in upon startup. (To work easier with the TV remote)

Is it possible to use the ultimate key to get home premium activated? (I don’t think so but it can’t hurt to ask) This would eliminate the whole sharing issue I have.

Any other workaround idea other than giving my HTPC user full administrative rights?
I don’t really want to do this because then my whole network becomes very, very unsecure.

Can I share files in a different way using NFS to windows 7 ultimate?

Suggestions
 
I think I have read that win7 ultimate has an NFS client, it is just not installed by default?
 
I never used NFS before with windows but maybe I can look into if its installed or not by default and how to use it.
 
I'm on the way to add Solaris ACL GUI management on Shares, Shared folders and other folder and files within napp-it.
Try the new ACL napp-it extension (menu extension).

Its not ready but basic functions are working. Its completely free during development
- with setting ACL (what you need) on a shared ZFS folder will remain free when its finished
 
I'm on the way to add Solaris ACL GUI management on Shares, Shared folders and other folder and files within napp-it.
Try the new ACL napp-it extension (menu extension).

Its not ready but basic functions are working. Its completely free during development
- with setting ACL (what you need) on a shared ZFS folder will remain free when its finished

This will be great, Solaris ACL management will really elevate napp-it to the next level :) How much do you think it will cost when finished?
 
This will be great, Solaris ACL management will really elevate napp-it to the next level :) How much do you think it will cost when finished?

I must move napp-it development to a level where i get more than the current 20c/hour time/revenue with pure donations.
On the other hand, i cannot give real support with Service Level Agreements and those things and you do not pay for a product
but support further development, so I intent to ask for 60 Euro/ year or 5x for unlimited use to be under the 100 Euro level for appliance replication (my other extension, this includes beta updates)

i think its fair to have a basic napp-it for free and pay for some comfortable-extensions (you may get the same from cli with some knowledge for free) or the newest bugfixes mostly for these extensions. Base napp-it is quite stable now.

I also hope to find more developers to create (paid) extensions.
My primary goal is not to have all for free but to have the best affordable semi-professional storage server compared to net-app/ Oracle/ EMC/ NexentaStror or others
with their > 20k Euro/$ medium solutions
 
Gea - Very interesting feature. I can't wait to test it out.

Just to update this thread a little bit:

I struggled to get NFS to work but while I was trying to get it to work I stumbled upon a work around to the permissions it seems in Windows 7 Ultimate. Here's what I did:

1) I set up a normal user in the napp-it samba folder (not an administrator) Under most of the other windows editions this user can share files normally by just logging in. (Premium&Professional Win 7)
2) What I tried next was mapping the server drive in windows 7 (via GUI not CLI) This worked as long as I TYPED the path in of the server. ( \\openindiana\shares) If I tried browsing the server explorer froze. I then checked "Connect using different credentials" and hit Finish.
3) Windows 7 then prompted me for a user name and password and I used the one I created in step one (which should be the same as your login anyway) and I connected without an issue.
4) To make this more permanent I created a batch file of the sort on windows startup since it I don't want to manually remap the drive each time I start windows.
5) In order for this script to work you NEED TO DISABLE UAC in the control panel --> Users

Here is a sample script I used:

Code:
net use Z: \\openindiana\share1* /delete
net use Z: \\openindiana\share1 password /USER:DOMAIN\username
net use Y: \\openindiana\share2 password /USER:DOMAIN\username
net use X: \\openindiana\share3 password /USER:DOMAIN\username
net use
This batch file runs each time I start windows up automatically. The first line eliminates all the mapped network drives. (The asterisk does all if you just want particular ones list them all individually)

The next few lines maps each of my different shares. I use the username and password I setup in step 1. (I know this is not secure to display the password but its a hidden batch file I run and my computer starts automatically with no login anyways)

The domain I used was the one that was listed when the computer prompted me with a password in step 3.

Its not the most elegant solution, and I have not fooled around with permissions and shares yet with mapping the drives but I hope to get to it soon using this technique.

I am not guaranteeing it working for anyone else, but it might be something to try and test.
 
Back
Top