• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ACD vs Korean 27"

johnny*

n00b
Joined
Dec 9, 2009
Messages
50
Looking for a good all-around, budget-conscious monitor for coding/graphic design/gaming use, and trying to weight the pros/cons of the Apple Cinema Display 27" vs. one of the Korean 27" displays. I've been looking at the different Korean models for months, but recently got a line on a used ACD from a friend that can be had for $500. In terms of usage priority, I'd say 65% coding, 15% graphic work, 20% gaming.

A major concern of mine is the potential for eye fatigue, given that I spend 70+ hours a week coding and am susceptible to eye strain/fatigue issues. I've read several reports indicating the potential for backlight issues (PWM related) with some of the Korean monitors that can result in fatigue issues. Generally speaking, I tend to turn my monitors' brightness settings down quite low, in order to limit light output and minimize fatigue (without crushing blacks).

Anyone care to share their experiences/knowledge of these displays with regard to the following:

1. Text legibility
2. Backlight settings, evenness
3. Color accuracy
4. Input lag (for FPS gaming use)
5. Any other relevant points I may be overlooking

I'm basically trying to decide whether the $200 price premium would be worth it for the ACD, given a Korean model can be had for < $300. I have zero use for the additional connections + webcam/mic on the ACD. Any thoughts?
 
If the seller is reliable and the ACD is in good condition, I'd go for it over the Korean model. It'll have a much higher resale value down the line, if you ever decide to sell it.

But it depends on usage, condition, and such. If the used ACD has some heavy use, screen defects, etc, then I'd go for the Korean lcds. Both are a bit of a risk -- plus side for the ACD is that I assume you can see it first (assuming sale is local).
 
They use the same LG panels, only difference is the Korean models are "A-" rated.

Spend an extra $100 and pick up two Korean monitors. :D
 
Check out his ACD. If everything is perfect, grab it.

You're taking a risk with the Korean monitors since they use 'reject' panels that Apple didn't want.
 
where did you read those reports of PWM related backlight problems and its relations with eye fatigue ?
 
where did you read those reports of PWM related backlight problems and its relations with eye fatigue ?

OCN and 120hz forums. It's been suggested that eye fatigue is a result of low PWM frequency of the backlight with the Korean monitors (backlight flickering, essentially).
 
Anyone care to share their experiences/knowledge of these displays with regard to the following:

1. Text legibility
2. Backlight settings, evenness
3. Color accuracy
4. Input lag (for FPS gaming use)
5. Any other relevant points I may be overlooking

Text legibility is going to be the same on the Korean monitors and the ACD.
The Korean monitors are probably going to have the most issues with 2 and 3. The Catleaps had some issues with one half of the screen being darker than the other and the Crossovers had issues with blue tinting. Now, it's not a guarantee that you'll get one with those issues, you just take the chance. Personally, my Crossover has a "yellowish" vertical band, that makes a perfectly white screen not quite even. Might bother you when coding, it's invisible when gaming.

Input lag on the Korean monitors (especially the ones with only a DVI port) is going to be a non-issue, since they have no scaler.
 
I would definitely take a look at the ACD for 500$ since one could most likely re-sell it w/o taking a loss.
 
Back
Top