ACD 27 and Adatpers

slobo

n00b
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
36
Hi,

I have Windows 7 PC, with 9800GT video card. After reading all the reviews I am ready to take the plunge upgrade my 24' LG to something with a little higher resolution and color quality. I am settled on the monitor, Apple Cinema Display (non-thunderbolt). I need help figuring out which adapter to use. Looks like I have the following choices:

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-UltraAV-B087B-002B-DisplayPort-Dual-Link/dp/B002ISVI3U/ref=pd_cp_e_2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158262

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815524014

I see a lot of recommendation for ADP, but I don't understand the $100 premium. Can someone enlighten me here. Are there any other issues, I should be aware before I take the plunge? Lastly, I will used this mainly for getting crisper text. I game occasionally and watch movies frequently. But, really this is a pure, I want it thing and not really justifiable. I also play League of Legends and will play D3, when it comes out. I want a display that will last me a LONG time, at least 5 years.

Thank you,
Slobo
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Apple LED Cinema Display 27" is an excellent monitor, I use it with my PC and wouldn't trade it for any PC display on the market. It should last you a very long time. That being said, just beware you only have 1 single choice in adapters, the Atlona DP-400. The DP-400 lets you plug a miniDisplayPort display into a DVI video card like your 9800GT. The Accell and StarTech converters are for connecting a miniDisplayPort video card to a DVI monitor, which is NOT what you are trying to accomplish. Also, I don't know what type of games you play, but the 9800GT may be a bit underpowered for gaming with a 27" @ 2560x1440. Depending on your budget, you might be better off to pass on the Atlona DP-400 and just invest that money on a better videocard that already has DisplayPort built in.

The Atlona DP-400 is $79.99 if you buy it from Atlona directly (Newegg sells it for $196.99)
http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Dual-Link-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-USB-Powered.html

You could also buy the AMD Radeon 6750 with DisplayPort for only $94.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161379

So for almost the same price as the DP-400, you could just buy a new video card that would offer a MASSIVE performance boost over your 9800GT, and save yourself the hassle of messing with converters.
 
Last edited:
Agreed, I had an 8800GTS 512, essentially the same card that you have, and it wouldn't game at 1440p, at all. I think the video ram is the problem at that resolution. Try and find a 2gb card if you can, it helps at the super high resolutions, and look for an ati with mini displayport built in, they make a few, it just makes life easier.

Also, spend an extra $10 and buy a mini displayport and usb extension from monoprice, the cable on the ACD is laughably short.
 
Looks like the one I got (mine is white but from StarTech)...worked fine with my 4980 and now my 580.
 
It works. Now, where to get those amazing beautiful 2560x1440 backgrounds
 
Back
Top