Access domain shares from domainless computers

tripex

Gawd
Hey you guys,

I have a domain set up, with one Windows 2003 domain controller and some Win XP computers. Everything is ok between all the computers that belong to the domain. We can share folders and files ok.

Sometimes i use a computer that does not belong to any domain and i can access files on the Win 2003 server, because the login/pass window pops up, so i can type any domain user/pass combo and get in normally.

The problem happens when trying to access shares on the Win XP computers. It doesnt even ask for the user/pass, some security/policy/blabla message pops up :(

How can i fix this?

Thanks.

few things to try, check the policeis that you have in place on the server or maybe add the computer to the domain then log onto the domain when you have to or just use a normal account when you dont want to be on the domain (or isnt that possiable for some reason with your set up)You could also check out drive mapping on google and see if anything comes concerning your issue.

Turn off Simple File Sharing, and it will be more like your used too. It's under tools, folder options, simple file sharing

And XP will not allow you to connect to the workstation without a user/pass. Blank passwords will not work. (You can turn this behavior off with global policy.)

compslckr said:
few things to try, check the policeis that you have in place on the server or maybe add the computer to the domain then log onto the domain when you have to or just use a normal account when you dont want to be on the domain (or isnt that possiable for some reason with your set up)You could also check out drive mapping on google and see if anything comes concerning your issue.

I really dont want to add the "outside" computers to the domain.
Thats not an option.

I dont think mapping a drive works because i cant even see the available shares on the computer.

Ranma_Sao said:
Turn off Simple File Sharing, and it will be more like your used too. It's under tools, folder options, simple file sharing

And XP will not allow you to connect to the workstation without a user/pass. Blank passwords will not work. (You can turn this behavior off with global policy.)

That was one of the first things I tried and nothing :(

The only policies i messed with, were those that prevented me of using weak/blank passwords for users. I did that on the Windows 2003 box.
Besides that I didnt set up any specific policy, its all default stuff.

I'll post the error message later, so you guys can help me better.

Thanks!

map the drive using a different user name or

create a batch file that opens the share point, and use RUN AS with the user name of someone with permission to access the share.

QM

Well well well

I did these changes. I disabled the GUEST user on "control userpasswords2".
I also enabled SIMPLE FILE SHARING.

And Ffor some reason its working now.
The user/pass box popped up!

Dont ask. Dont tell.

Usually when I see this type of problem its because you are trying to access a share from the same username but different password. For example "administrator" on both boxes but with different passwords. Because "administrator" is a valid username it doesn't prompt for the logon credentials like it should, imho.

Party2go9820 said:
Usually when I see this type of problem its because you are trying to access a share from the same username but different password. For example "administrator" on both boxes but with different passwords. Because "administrator" is a valid username it doesn't prompt for the logon credentials like it should, imho.

Thats not the case, really.

Im using different usernames on both computers.

And just for coincidence, both computers have at least one common user/password. Thats "administrator".

huxley said:
Are you accessing the shares via

\\ipaddress\c$ ?

I always access thru

\\computername

And then check which shared folders or printers are available.

The problem was, the moment i tried to connect, the error message popped up.

Back