Accelero S1 Turbo's no cooling for voltage regulators + fit in Antec 182 Case?

impactdax

n00b
I wanted to put 2 Asus 8880gts Top video cards with Accelero S1 v2 with Turbo fans in an Antec 182 Case in SLI. Does anyone know if they will fit?

I'm not really capable of building the system, so I am having someone do it for me. They sent me the following response about the coolers themselves.

"We used the Accelero coolers as a special order part in a build a few weeks ago, and they dont have any cooling for the voltage regulators. Also, we have to install the two small fans on the heatsinks, which make them at least as loud as stock, if not more. There are no coolers available on the market currently that actually cool everything (GPU, RAM, and voltage regulators) on the 8800GT's. They claim that the voltage regulators don't need cooling, but Nvidia actively cools them [with the stock fans]. If he adds a Killer K1 [in the gaming system], and keeps the quiet Noctua fans, we're going to have to run the front fan at 12v. With the big heatsinks on the video cards he wants to add, the killer would overheat otherwise. Like RAID cards, they're pretty sensitive to heat."

As you can tell I'm trying to keep the system near silent. I read that the turbo fans were quieter than stock. Any thoughts on their comments?

Thanks

1.) I've got a GTS, oc'd, it is doing fine WITHOUT the turbo units. Edit: Probably should've mentioned that I have an Accelero on my GTS. Card seems to be ok with just a 120mm case fan blowing on it. 36c idle.

2.) The turbo units will not be as loud as stock. Per [H]'s review.

3.) Killer K1? Please save your money. Onboard lan is just fine.

I use the "turbo" fan unit from AC on my son's S1/8800GT, and it has not broken 55c under load yet....:eek:...and it's even fairly well overclocked....noise? What noise? The hard drive is the loudest part in his rig....

My 8800GTS G92 is getting one next, as soon as I find a place that has both items in stock. Newegg is out of stock on the cooler and has the fan, while Directron.com has the cooler but no fan module even listed....:confused:

Also, we have to install the two small fans on the heatsinks, which make them at least as loud as stock, if not more.

That is a load of bull and the guy clearly doesn't have any experience with the accelero. Hardocp and a few other reviewers have proved this. The Accelero S1 with the turbo fan attachment is WAY quieter than the loud stock fan. I've heard it in person and it is quieter than the VF900 which is very quiet. As far as heatsinks for the voltage regulators Hardocp just stuck some spare heatsinks on them. Why can't the builders do the same? Those little plastic heatsinks can be found at any pc component site.

1) Dont buy a k1
2) The voltage regulators dont heat up to much, if your worried buy a set of heatsinks for $10
3) The turbo fan is very quiet, what even more quiet is a 120mm and zip ties
4) If this is what these people are saying, dont get them to build your system.
5) yes, it will fit in a p182 just fine (thats what im doing)

I have the 182 case too. Will the accelero with turbo module in sli work. I think it will eat up 3 slots per card?

Which GTS would you buy:

1. XFX Geoforce 8800 GTX Alpha Dog XXX
2. Asus en8800 GTS TOP
3. EVGA e-Geogorce 8800 GTS
4. BFGTech GeForce 8800 GTS OC 512MB

I'm looking for a stable factory overclocked card. I'm leaning toward the xfx or evga

STOP!

Big warning. With the turbo module the, the S1 becomes a three slot cooler.

With a 780i Mobo, the standard placement is slots 1 and 3. For single SLI. Between the bottom slot and the divider to the PSU compartment is only TWO (2) "slots" wide. You can not fit a turbo module in there.

Also, who ever is "building" this for you is an idiot. Killer nic (as said above) is a huge waste of money.

Building a system isn't hard at all. Any decent motherboard manufactor has the step by step guides of what, where, and when to install every piece of hardware. If you can read you can put it together your self. Also, ask around here for components. Clearly you are in a world of hurt if your buying a 8800 GT and a killer nic. The killer nic can improve preformance, along the lines of 0.5% - 1%. Spend that money on your graphics card and you'd see much much more. If your not comfortable building it your self then fine. But good god, find someone else than this guy to put it together.

If you plan on changing the heatsinks, evga is your best bet as they dont void your warranty.

also be warned that S1's fins are very tall, you will need a flexible SLI bridge.

Is there any more space in the bottom slot near the power supply on the 790i board?

If not, I think what I'm hearing is that you can't run Accelero s1 turbo's in sli mode???? Am I missing something here?

Is there any more space in the bottom slot near the power supply on the 790i board?

If not, I think what I'm hearing is that you can't run Accelero s1 turbo's in sli mode???? Am I missing something here?

I'm not sure about the 790i. iirc it has 3 slots, so your probably hosed. You will need a flexible SLI bridge and you can run the S1 with a turbo just fine. The problem is the space between the bottom card and the bottom of the case.

I don't know why people are putting fans on their S1's. Mine is running passively and never gets above 65C (overclocked to 720/1100). Just open the slot below the card in your case and be sure you have negative pressure in your case. It will draw cool air in through the open slot and cool your card nicely. See how the fins are oriented? It is meant to be used this way.

I don't know why people are putting fans on their S1's. Mine is running passively and never gets above 65C (overclocked to 720/1100). Just open the slot below the card in your case and be sure you have negative pressure in your case. It will draw cool air in through the open slot and cool your card nicely. See how the fins are oriented? It is meant to be used this way.

Because some people like quiet.
With a sunbeam fan controller and a yate loon strapped to my s1 my p182 is near silent, and I mean SILENT, I cant tell if its on even with no other noise in the room. The case fans spin just fast enough to move a tiny amount of air, but with another fan on the s1 it makes a massive difference 80 down to around 45 degrees. If I turn up the fans in my case I can cool it passively, but now why would I do that?

Back