? about running 2 nics in each machine

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
I just picked up 2 gigbit nics and was wondering if I can put those cards, one in my main machine and one in my file server and connect them with a x-over cable and leave the 10/100 cards in there as well and have those attached to my 10/100 switch.

Main reason I am asking is that I have 4 machines and can't afford all 4 cards and the switch at the same time so I am going to upgrade slowly.
I just need to be able to move large amounts of files from my main machine to the server and it just takes so long, upto an hour sometimes.

Is this setup feasable, and how would I go about setting it up.

Oh, and the server is accessed by 7 machines total in the house so that is why I need the 10/100 nic in there attached to the switch for the time being.

yeah it will work
just give each gigabit nic some 192.168.x.x ip address and you will be golden

cool, thanks,
I'll give it a shot and see how well it performs.

Most gigabit cards have auto-MDX so you may not even need the crosserver cable. The card will the pairs over if needed.

Originally posted by acidHL
Most gigabit cards have auto-MDX so you may not even need the crosserver cable. The card will the pairs over if needed.

Good point! I also heard/read that this was true.

I'll see if it works with a straight cable then.
the cards I have are the Netgear GA302T.

im actually thinking of doing the same thing, this is what i have planned out so far.
thought.jpg

both xp and 2k3 MUST be able to access the router.
but i dont want transfers from xp to 2k3 going through the 100tx on the switch

Originally posted by Morpheus256
im actually thinking of doing the same thing, this is what i have planned out so far.
thought.jpg

both xp and 2k3 MUST be able to access the router.
but i dont want transfers from xp to 2k3 going through the 100tx on the switch

I am installing my cards now and will see how well it works.

i did the same thing on my lan before i got my gige switch... my internal network (10/100 nics) was 192.168.10.0 and my gige network was 192.168.11.0

so whenever i wanted to transfer over gige i would put my file servers 192.168.11.0 address so it would go over the gige and not the 10/100

Originally posted by FLECOM
i did the same thing on my lan before i got my gige switch... my internal network (10/100 nics) was 192.168.10.0 and my gige network was 192.168.11.0

so whenever i wanted to transfer over gige i would put my file servers 192.168.11.0 address so it would go over the gige and not the 10/100

thanks for the tip, I just did that and it works pretty decent.

I just spent 6 hours cleaning and reconfiguring the computers.
Took me forever to figure out where to mount all the drives in the server. I forgot that there were 3 SCSI ports on the mb. I thought there was only 2. I eventually got all 7 drives mounted and hooked up and the VNC set up so I don't need a kb or monitor attached to it.
Now I just need to clean up my mess.

Back