About OCZ 520W powerstream

lethial

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
149
Hey all:

After much reading everywhere i decided that the 520W powerstream would be my best choice. However, i noticed that today while running the S&M test the 12V rail was detected by S&M to drop to 10.7V! Now is this a problem with the tester or did I end up with a bad PSU?

there is a discrepancy between the reading from the S&M tester and MBM5 and Smartguardian (11.3, 12.2, 11.9V respectively) I know that using a multimeter is the only way to be sure about which voltage is right. But in your experiences what is the voltage of the rails on a powerstream that has not been tweaked (ie I didn't do anything with the knobs on the back of the PSU)?

Should I do some tweaking? Could I really have a not so great powerstream?

sigh I wish I can bring the scope from work home and just let it monitor the rails for a week...

thanks
 
Don't adjust your rails without checking your voltages with a multimeter to determine their actual output first.
 
Aye, I will definitely do that. But it just seem weird that such a huge drop in voltage is reported...

Where does the various programs sense their voltages anyway?
 
From a chip on the board about the size of half a postage stamp.
 
Thanks!

If you don't mind could you tell me about what region it is located? How accurate are those sensors?

Speaking of sensors, how hot could and should PWM IC get? On my mobo it gets above 70oC during S&M testing even with a fan blowing across the FETs. How important is it to keep these things cool anyway?

thanks lots
 
They're not accurate. That's why everyone here tells people not to use software to monitor voltages. You MUST use a DMM.
 
Yeah I know, unfortunately though I really don't have a good DMM that could record the history of voltage and amp that my PSU outputs over a period of time :( Do you ahve any recommandations? What equipment do you guys use? (Dangerous question... Since I know some of you probabally have scopes and other equipments that costs over few grands :) )
 
Back
Top