abit IP35 Pro won't boot: stuck on post code 9.0?

morkboy_wonder

Limp Gawd
I have had the abit MB for a few months now. No problems whatsoever. I turned it on the other day and the board lit up, the HDDs whirred and the CPU/case fans started but there was no boot (no activity on the monitor). I looked on on LCD display on the board and it was stuck at code 9.0 - from looking at the manual this signifies the point where the awardbios takes over the boot from the boards initial µGuru processes. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what the problem is. Could it maybe be a corrupt bios (although I have not flashed the bios for months) or a MB problem?

My setup: abit IP35 Pro, Q6600, 8800GTX, 2G Corsair 8500C5D, 150Gb raptor, OCZ GameXStream 700w

Of course there are the normal things: Reset the CMOS using the switch on the back, remove/disconnect everything you can, try a different video card (a plain PCI card if possible), try different RAM if possible, try a different CPU :)confused:).

Check Abit's forums:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:forum.abit-usa.com+IP35+POST+9.0

Too much stuff for me to go through. Could be a bad motherboard because I have not seen one thread where somebody solved the problem permanently. People go through all kinds of crap trying different things and nothing fixes it... bad motherboard.

Thanks for the advice. I had already tried the things you suggest except changing the graphics card (as I only have one). Is it common for a faulty graphics card to prevent boot? Just trying to decide I should get a hold of a mates graphics card to test before RMAing the MB.

I was just guessing about the graphics card because a lot of people on the abit forum seemed to get their machine booting by using very old low-end video cards.

Also someone had success not just reseting the CMOS but actually disconnecting all power and removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes.

Yeah I saw a post like that on the abit forum. I tried after taking out the battery for a couple of hours but with no success. Think it is probably the motherboard then. Will RMA and see. Cheers

There is definitely part of me that hopes it is not the motherboard. I got burned real bad with two BP6's and a VP6 motherboard years ago and vowed not to buy abit again. The IP35-Pro is my first abit since the ill fated VP6 and I hope that wasn't a mistake. :rolleyes:

People here seem to like the IP35 line though so that's why I went with it... Plus pretty much all motherboards have issues. I will always avoid anything with VIA chipsets though and the NVIDIA chipsetted boards aren't high on my list either.

Overall I do really like the IP35 Pro. I previously had a striker extreme which was a lot of hassle. Firstly it had a known problem with quad cores (FSB holes) but moreover I just didn't like how hot the chipset got and getting it to a stable overclock felt like an exercise in witchcraft. I was holding out for the 780i but as this seems more like a mod than a new board I went for intel and I was pretty happy with the abit. If only nvidia gave the go ahead for an intel SLI mb life would be good:D

Yeah, I think you are right. Just tried all the components in my old striker and it posts fine so I think bios is to blame.

getting any beep codes? try taking all ram out and booting, see if you get same err code. try taking cpu out and booting, see if you get same error code. if either these conditions exist, time for mb rma. chance it could only need a new bios chip, but i would rma board.

Back