A7N8X-X Stability Problems

Originally posted by Serapis
The only thing that seems to work is underclocking the cpu by lowering the multiplier to 166x12 instead of 166x13, which is default. I'm running stable at these speeds but why would I want to stay at 2ghz when I paid an extra $35 just go get the 2700+ instead of a 2400+.
Would you have any idea what might be the problem. Am I not setting something in the bios? Thanks for your time. Please respond ASAP.

Drew

You could try upping the FSB and lowering the multiplier to 180x12 and maybe loosening the ram timings or changing to a 5:4 divider - although I can't see how this could help, just a suggestion. If by trying this your computer doesn't post you will need to clear the CMOS.

An alternative is to increase the vcore by 0.025V at a time until you reach a stable point, although this may not work at all - just try not to exceed 1.75V.

Haven't tried the FSB fix yet... but we'll see if it works. Maybe the motherboard/cpu just don't like a 13x multiplier?

I have tried upping the vcore and the ddr core in small increments all the way to the highest setting but with no solution found.

Thanks for the new idea.

make sure you have the latest BIOS rev(1007) or else you wont be hitting 200FSB, im only at 199:(

IMO the motherboard is a PoS, the a7n8x or the deluxe are worth more, but are definately worth it

Yeah, I got v1007. Btw, anyone else notice the motherboard beeps while playing intense games? If you hit too many keys at the same time or something like that, the motherboard beeps and everything freezes for a split second. Really annoying might I add...

Anyone know a fix for this?

I have gotten the pc stable at 170x12 (40mhz increase). But the 180x12 just did as before, booted up, then restarted the computer as soon as I tried to run a few programs.

I found out the main problem I was having was I had a fan on my side panel window that was blowing air out of my case and that air that was coming out, was actually being pulled away from my CPU fan/heatsink so my CPU was overheating. I turned the fan around and now it runs at 164x13 but still not 166x13 because it still overheats.

Serapis awhile ago i had a 2700XP and that same ASUS Mobo, i had some minor problems but with that setup even with a stock Heatsink and Fan you should be able to Overclock that CPU to at least 3200XP speeds, whats your temps under Full load and Idle as well, do you have access yo any other ram, Sounds like a ram problem to me. Does it Bluescreen? If windows drops does it give you a specific error? Also in your bios Make sure that the AGP/PCI is set to 66mhz and not Auto, if you are overclocking its gonna raise that up and cause all kinds of shitty ungoodness. Oh yeah flash the Bios to 1007.

Back