A way to get more space in PC-07

I believe that the thermal characteristics of the PC-07 are design limited for certain CPU/Setups. I don't think it was ever intended to hold what some people here have put into them :p.

Seeing that someone was able to get a i7 into one of these systems is akin to trying to put a V8 into my little four banger Saturn (or a Honda Civic..whathaveyou). It wasn't designed to either thermally support the characteristics of the system/engine or the girth of having to deal with the cooling/connections for dealing as such.

I don't post this to put a hot poker in the eye of people that are attempting to build a fantastic Mini system, but I think putting high end parts in this case is asking for thermal trouble.

I believe that the thermal characteristics of the PC-07 are design limited for certain CPU/Setups. I don't think it was ever intended to hold what some people here have put into them :p.

Seeing that someone was able to get a i7 into one of these systems is akin to trying to put a V8 into my little four banger Saturn (or a Honda Civic..whathaveyou). It wasn't designed to either thermally support the characteristics of the system/engine or the girth of having to deal with the cooling/connections for dealing as such.

I don't post this to put a hot poker in the eye of people that are attempting to build a fantastic Mini system, but I think putting high end parts in this case is asking for thermal trouble.

i have to agree , basicly this case was made for a atom or a i3 530 . it has to be low heat if your going to cool with air. that being said i think i can fit a h50 watercooling in this case without cutting it up . how well this h50 cools with way i am going to set it up i dont know yet but i have hopes it can keep this i7 860 manageable in this case

Jen

I agree that you need extreme measures like water cooling or major modifications to airflow to account for the thermal requirements of cooling such a high end part. I'd love to see what you or anyone here ends up coming up with to solve that problem. Please post you pics! I want to see them! :)

An artist views limitations as an advantage and applies their ingenuity and creativity to overcome them:eek:, where as those not inclined only see is a problem.:mad:

I changed the slim fan to a Noctua 120mm x 25mm fan and the temp was better. When i close the side the temp on idle is about 50c but i can close the sidepanel.

Jen:
If you get the H50 to work please inform me <3

Edit:
After 30mins of playing sc2, the temp went up to 80C.

Last edited:
I changed the slim fan to a Noctua 120mm x 25mm fan and the temp was better. When i close the side the temp on idle is about 50c but i can close the sidepanel.

Jen:
If you get the H50 to work please inform me <3

Edit:
After 30mins of playing sc2, the temp went up to 80C.

do you have room to have a gemini s heatsink with slim fan? i had much better temps with a gemini s than big shuriken.

meanwhile i made another hard drive bracket to mount below the optical drive . not best job i have done to tired i guess to do this right like the last one. then i will start placing things back in case . maybe today i will be able to test this h50 if all this fits that is

Jen

Try dropping your voltages guys- I was breaking 80c on my x3440 but dropped to 1.1v and temps have been stellar since with a big shuriken and 120mm gelid fan in an sg06. OC'ed to 860 clocks (2.8) and am peaking at 73c on occt linpack.

Try dropping your voltages guys- I was breaking 80c on my x3440 but dropped to 1.1v and temps have been stellar since with a big shuriken and 120mm gelid fan in an sg06. OC'ed to 860 clocks (2.8) and am peaking at 73c on occt linpack.

wish i could but i need the early release bios due to dfi in thier wisdom felt we shouldnt have the ability to adjust voltage on this i7 860. concern is understandable due to many who had to rma due to adding voltage however i am one of those that want to reduce the voltage lower than what i have a stock

Jen

wish i could but i need the early release bios due to dfi in thier wisdom felt we shouldnt have the ability to adjust voltage on this i7 860. concern is understandable due to many who had to rma due to adding voltage however i am one of those that want to reduce the voltage lower than what i have a stock

Jen

Hm, guess I have the early bios then, as I have the mini itx DFI board as well. :\

Doesn't DFI enable voltage adjustment part of the BIOS with F9 press while at the top level screen? Not having the voltage adjustment AT ALL would be very much UNLIKE DFI ...

Doesn't DFI enable voltage adjustment part of the BIOS with F9 press while at the top level screen? Not having the voltage adjustment AT ALL would be very much UNLIKE DFI ...

i will have to try that, my information is the i7 860 doesnt have ability to adjust voltage with newest bios updates.

well finally have this system working now to enjoy it after all these headaches.

Jen

The Vcore is already at 1.1V.. =(

do you have room to have a gemini s heatsink with slim fan? i had much better temps with a gemini s than big shuriken.

meanwhile i made another hard drive bracket to mount below the optical drive . not best job i have done to tired i guess to do this right like the last one. then i will start placing things back in case . maybe today i will be able to test this h50 if all this fits that is

Jen

I believe I have the room for it. How high is the Geminii heatsink? I checked it up and not many sell the Geminii heatsink... What about 8700 from zalman? Is that good enough?

I was going to change the PSU to a SFX and I found a old PSU from like 2000 and it sat on my M-atx chassi 200W. It was a fullsize ATX except it was only 12cm long and now I have lots of free room for it to be cooler! When the side panel was open the idle temp was at 35C and now when I close it I have about 45 at idle! Thats a huge difference. Next step will be buying a bracket converter from SFX to ATX.

I ran Prime for 30mins and the temp was at 73C with the side panel open but the +12V wasnt that stable... It was at 11.2V and during idle its at 11.9V and 11.97V.

... I suspect some might be glad to know that Lian-Li EX-553 is now available at frozencpu.com (link) and performance-pcs (link)

I get my BE quiet SFX PSU tomorrow and I have bought a ATX bracket so i will have a lot more space. Hopefully more stable too.

I get my BE quiet SFX PSU tomorrow and I have bought a ATX bracket so i will have a lot more space. Hopefully more stable too.

that will help also if can add some fan to back of case even if small ones. i am trying to figure out what i can add myself to help with all this

Jen

that will help also if can add some fan to back of case even if small ones. i am trying to figure out what i can add myself to help with all this

Jen

I have 2x 40mm fan back at the I/O panel and it helps a little but not that much..

Jen-

Did you have to actually cut a hole to mount that video card? I believe you said that. And that is a specially made bracket for the PS and HD? What would be an alternative way to go about that?

... I suspect some might be glad to know that Lian-Li EX-553 is now available at frozencpu.com (link) and performance-pcs (link)

Awesome... I just ordered this case & 1 drive so now if I want to add anything else I have a way of doing it.. I was thinking about this & 2x 500 gb or 1 tb drives..

Also For my OS drives I plan to run a raid 0 with 2 x18m's.. For mounting I plan to go Old School & Use 2 Sided foam tape & tape them to the front of the case.. With as Light as they are & as effective as that 3m tape is I am fairly sure they wont move.. Was also considering making a rubber cage for them & then use the same 3m tape & stick them to either the front of the case or the bottom of the Optical drive tray.. The more elaborate of the 2 solutions should be under 10 bucks still & cause no permanent changes to the Case..

I'm interested in a system similar to yours and was googling for what peoples temps are like and found this: http://csd.dficlub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12298&page=2 with a big shuriken and some good thermal paste your temps (according to this person) should get quite a bit better.

Im using Artic Coolins thermal paste and it doesnt help as this user states. There is no chance he can get so low temperature.

Im using Be Quiet SFX 350W, Bigshuriken with Noctua fan and the old fan from shuriken blowing on the shuriken. The temperature i get with speedstep is 35C at idle.

Does anyone know if there is any gts250 card that fits this Case? I have been googling around and cant find any...

That looks like your card:
http://www.zotacusa.com/eco-geforce-gts-250-1gb-256-bit-gddr3-675mhz-2000mhz-zt-20109-10p.html
It mightfit just very tight. Zotac has more GTS 250 models.
Other subvendors you might look at:
Gainward
Point of View Palit
Inno3d
Sparkle (They have some low profile GTS 250)
Galaxy
Its hard to find powerful graphics card under 200mm.
BTW it was strange when xfx had short pcb sample of HD5830 which was shown on techreport.com and bit-tech.net and then they had articles stating that normal version is the same length as 5850.

Hello all. Found some interesting parts I might put into my case.

First of all found this site selling three different versions of the EX-553.
28.99 -- gets you the basic version.EX-553:)
29.99 -- gets you another version.EX-553B what the difference between this an EX-553 I don't know?:confused:
31.99 -- gets you an all black version.EX-553X (kinda stupid as nobody could even see that part of the mounting... though as I type this someone might say "what if they have an acrylic case...):p
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g43...Lian_Li_Parts-Lian_Li_Bay_Adapters-Page1.html

Secondly, found this modular power supply. Any one have input as to the value/quality of it?
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9...-ATX_Power_Supply_ULT40276.html?tl=g11c26s216

Can anyone recommend a quality DVD-RW slim drive or is any $40 drive about the same? Looking at LiteON

Hello all. Found some interesting parts I might put into my case.

First of all found this site selling three different versions of the EX-553.
28.99 -- gets you the basic version.EX-553:)
29.99 -- gets you another version.EX-553B what the difference between this an EX-553 I don't know?:confused:
31.99 -- gets you an all black version.EX-553X (kinda stupid as nobody could even see that part of the mounting... though as I type this someone might say "what if they have an acrylic case...):p
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g43...Lian_Li_Parts-Lian_Li_Bay_Adapters-Page1.html

Secondly, found this modular power supply. Any one have input as to the value/quality of it?
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9...-ATX_Power_Supply_ULT40276.html?tl=g11c26s216

Can anyone recommend a quality DVD-RW slim drive or is any $40 drive about the same? Looking at LiteON

That Power supply if quality could be a very nice unit for these small cases.. But I don't exactly trust the ultra brand at all so I wont be volunteering to try it till I see some reviews. Beyond that just be aware that with those slim CD drives you need a special adapter to use it.. I am on my 3rd one trying to get the right adapter. Bit I am pretty sure this. is the right one.

Edit.. also the B model normally represents a black bezel for lian li

Has anyone tried using Lian-Li EX-553 yet? I'm getting a bit of an alignment issue that is not addressable w/o some modding. Basically, the crack below the DVD tray is much wider on the right side if compared to the left:
SDC13733.JPG

SDC13736.JPG

Hey, I know it probably isn't kosher here, but just use black electrical tape behind the face. If there isn't light you are less likely to notice it. Similar situation to wood working... glue and Spackle do wonders to fix cracks!

Though I would use gaffer tape!

I looked more closely at the picture. I would guess that the holes that are drilled are too high and not aligned with the front bezel as you see. I would drill out the holes with a slightly larger diameter bit and use washers to space and locate it accordingly. I would guess that that part was made within tolerance so they wouldn't see it as a problem for production. Also this method might be good as I understand many people push the screws into far into these drive and interfere with the mechanism.

It's not just the holes that will need to be enlarged/moved lower, it's also that the vertical "wall" on the right hand side is to tall and I will need to shave some of it down.

Yes, there's a way to make this work (and no, i don't think they built it within the tolerances), but why would I pay $30+ and then have to buy tools and spend my time making the thing work that should have worked out of the box?

Back