A question about Certs

SerialThriller

Limp Gawd
Ultra-noob question, I know. But bare with me :rolleyes:

Just wondering what it is that most the Certs cover.

Do they basically cover networking and other OS/Software deals?

Do any Certs cover coding? programming? I am assuming they don't but lay this question in anyways.

Anyone? :D

yes there are programing certs

but a cert is spicific to a curtan feild

like ccna ccnp are networking
msce a+ is bascaly hardware/software/ minor networking

just go up to you local community collage and take some classes spcific to the cert

think anyone would ever go thru the trouble of getting every cert?

Also, where might i find info (on the net) about what certs cover what?

SerialThriller said:
think anyone would ever go thru the trouble of getting every cert?

Also, where might i find info (on the net) about what certs cover what?

Go to CompTIA's website for info on any "plus" related cert (A+, Net+, Security+).

Go to Microsoft's website for info on any Microsoft cert.

Go to Cisco's website for info on any Cisco cert.

and so on... fairly straightforward.

okay, one last question.

Would it be worth it to get certs in areas that do not directly relate to your field?

For ex. A programmer may wish to get certs in networking areas to learn more aboutnetworking, Or...would a programmer simply find this knowledge on their own and never take a test or study for one?

SerialThriller said:
okay, one last question.

Would it be worth it to get certs in areas that do not directly relate to your field?

For ex. A programmer may wish to get certs in networking areas to learn more aboutnetworking, Or...would a programmer simply find this knowledge on their own and never take a test or study for one?

Nope. Certifications are meant to be qualifications of skills one already has in a particular area. If you want to learn a new skill, take a class. If you have 5 years experience in a particular field, you get a cert to show you know what you're doing and that you've learned something over those 5 years.

BobSutan said:
Nope. Certifications are meant to be qualifications of skills one already has in a particular area. If you want to learn a new skill, take a class. If you have 5 years experience in a particular field, you get a cert to show you know what you're doing and that you've learned something over those 5 years.

^ ^ ^ - - - What he said!

Here's a question:

Those of you that have jobs in the programming field, do you have certs? cuz i have been told that they are not very important in getting a job as a prgrammer.

Back