a problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the liscense for this com...

Bender_Unit_22

[H]ard|Gawd
ok all I am trying to do is use ghost to transfer the system drive to a different HD

I get it transferred, fix the hal.dll/boot.ini error caused by it being on a different partition number

I think everything if good then it hangs at the windows screen, it should say loading preferences but instead it just sits, then finally tells me...
a problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the liscense for this computer

so I hook the old drive back up and after googling it find out its probably caused by the change in the system drive letter

I tried the reg edits that various websites suggested but had to give up so I could still get 4hrs sleep

problem is it won't let me change the drive letter assignment thru windows

what is the best...easiest way to fix this?

Easy google

SYMPTOMS
When you start Microsoft Windows XP, you may receive the following error message:
A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x80070002.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This issue can occur if one of the following conditions is true: • The default security provider in Windows XP has been changed.
• The system drive letter has changed.
The security provider issue has been reported with Dell computers on which the Dell Assistant software is installed.

NOTE This issue can be caused by any software that changes the default security provider. It is not limited to Dell computers or to the Dell Assistant software.
Back to the top

WORKAROUND
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To work around this issue, use the appropriate method.
Back to the top

Reset the default security provider in Windows XP
To reset the default security provider in Windows XP, delete the relevant registry keys in the Windows registry. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Start the computer. Press the F8 key during startup to start the computer in Safe mode.
2. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
3. Delete the following registry keys in the Windows registry:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers
4. Quit Registry Editor.
5. Restart the computer.

Back to the top

Reset the drive letter of the system drive
Use Registry Editor to change the drive letter of the system drive back to its original value. Edit the following registry key to change the value of the system drive:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
For additional information and steps detailing the exact procedure to rename the system drive letter, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
223188 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188/) How To Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows
Back to the top

Oops, I'd been up a long time and was running on no sleep too... just didn't see the part where you'd already googled it.

As for actual thoughts I think that if you'd formatted and re-installed you'd be done now and this wouldn't be a problem.

Since you want to keep that drive as is... I've never had any problem txfering a system drive to a new one using the utility the hard drive manufacturer supplys on their website. With Maxtor it's MaxBlast, with WD it's included in their Data Lifeguard tools and so on.

Back