A *Newbie* Error...made by a Pro!

PGHammer

2[H]4U
One thing that most pros know (and most newbies don't) is that Enhanced Mode operations requires three things:

1. A processor that can operate in Enhanced Mode.
2. A matching system board.
3. An operating system that can operate in the processor's enhanced mode.

While numbers 1 and 2 have been around since the 80386SX/DX, MS-DOS (without it's various forms of Windows *clothing*) is *not* an Enhanced Mode operating system!

This can be forgotten when you have a motherboard with both Enhanced and Compatible Modes of operating (this is often true of motherboards with onboard RAID and/or SATA controllers, such as my own P4C800E Deluxe, and requires a BIOS option to switch from one mode of operating to the other).

Forgetting this simple truth (taught in *every* decent A+ and Network+ certification course) came back and bit yours truly right in the tushy when, just for grins, I took an old hard drive and was preparing to install Windows 98 Second Edition on it, just for grins.

MS-DOS 6.22 installed fine. The problem came installing the CD-ROM drivers. I have several different ATAPI drivers. I went round and round with it. I tried reformatting the drive (twice). I even dug out an old Windows 98 SE boot disk I had lovingly handcrafted six years ago (and which saved my bacon when dealing with old Dell OptiPlexes that don't boot from the CD-ROM drive). No joy.

Next stop was the BIOS...and there I found the problem. The configuration was *still* in Enhanced Mode! While Windows XP, my operating system of primary choice, *is* an Enhanced Mode OS (as are Linux, Solaris, any other brand of UNIX, and the various flavors of BSD), MS-DOS 6.22 is a *real mode* operating system! Switching to Compatible Mode solved the thorny problem...and was a telling reminder to *me* not to assume *I Know Everything*.

So I offer this slice of Humble Pie to any person that would dare assume to be Mister Know-It-All....you *never* know it all...and assumptions can come back and *bite* that tender tushy...of *yours*.

Back