• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A good video stress test. Does one exist?

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 18, 2001
Messages
7,978
For CPUs, we have Prime95.

For video, I have heard people talk of running 3dmark 01 in a loop but I feel that is not in any way shape or form a test. The heatsink on my card gets really hot when it is brought to its knees and cools off within minutes in a 2d environment. 3dmark loads something, plays for a few seconds and then stops to load the next demo (thus giving the 3d card a break). This is not a stress test at all. A stress test runs constantly until you tell it to stop and it does not give the card a 10+ second break every 30 seconds.

Anyway, is there an actual stress test that runs until you tell it to stop? I envision a flyby that keeps circling as an easy and uncreative one but I am open to any suggestions. Free would be nice but I guess I can buy one if it is cheap.
 
Staples said:
For CPUs, we have Prime95.

For video, I have heard people talk of running 3dmark 01 in a loop but I feel that is not in any way shape or form a test. The heatsink on my card gets really hot when it is brought to its knees and cools off within minutes in a 2d environment. 3dmark loads something, plays for a few seconds and then stops to load the next demo (thus giving the 3d card a break). This is not a stress test at all. A stress test runs constantly until you tell it to stop and it does not give the card a 10+ second break every 30 seconds.

Anyway, is there an actual stress test that runs until you tell it to stop? I envision a flyby that keeps circling as an easy and uncreative one but I am open to any suggestions. Free would be nice but I guess I can buy one if it is cheap.


what are ya trying to test? shaders or generally pushing the card?

The codecult code creatures benchmark will really push your card, its fairly decent on shaders aswell, but its limited.
 
Farcry demo runs do that...

Doom3 demo runs do that (dont they? haven't tried personally)

RTHYTHMSFOPJ what ever that thing is called does that...

~Adam
 
CleanSlate said:
Farcry demo runs do that...

Doom3 demo runs do that (dont they? haven't tried personally)

RTHYTHMSFOPJ what ever that thing is called does that...

~Adam


Yep Far Cry or Doom 3 will do good aswell.
 
I am basically just looking for pushing the card. It seems and it has been this way for years that if you overclock your CPU too much, games randomly kick out to windows. So a true stability test requires one that pushes your video as well as the CPU.

Ok, I am downloading the Creatures program. Seems that it is no longer supported by the original company.
 
I know for ATi, that ATiTool will stress a video card...

I have no idea if that would work with nvidia or not. :confused:
 
Well the creature one was cool but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it ends after a few minutes. A single demo that runs where the hd could turn off and it would work because it never needs to load new stuff. I will try the other suggestions. We are getting closer at least.
 
Bugalaman said:
Now this is the type I am looking for. Even if nothing else out there is like what I am looking for, this demo is good enough. Seems to stress the card and the CPU. It may not use all the features of DX9 but it seems to use quite a few functions of the video card. Very good.


PsychoZX said:
I use a demo called dynamic branching with AA/AF maxed to stress test my card. You can get it here http://www.humus.ca/ .
I have seen some of these demos. Pretty cool stuff. I never thought of them as a stress test though, I guess it is just because they are on such a small scale. It probably will work, I just have never thought of them that way.
 
i like to use that rthrdrplbsdlfjk. it really brings your video card to its knees.

btw can anyone see this post?
 
the rthdribl test even at the default rez when it first turns on pegs my CPU usage at 99% on my comp.

But it does max out my vid card and gives it a work out. It's been good at finding artifacts for my mem OC.
 
I use the real time high dynamic range demo for overclock testing. It runs with 4XAA by default and really stresses the GPU and Memory on a video card, heats it up real good. It doesn't stress the CPU.
 
far cry, doom3, 3dmark 2005 (looped)

The thing is you need to watch for artifacts.

Many times the card will continue to run when its pushed too hard, but you'll have to pay close attention for the artifacts to know if you're really stable.
 
bobsaget said:
I know for ATi, that ATiTool will stress a video card...

I have no idea if that would work with nvidia or not. :confused:

Yes, ATI Tool works with nvidia cards. Nvidia cards don't support the auto Overcocking, but it does support the "Scan for artifacts" mode. ATI Tool stresses the graphic card and CPU. And it's great because, it'll reset the timer (but still keep going) if there was an artifact, so you'd know if your card artifacts or not without having to stare at the test.
 
RTHDRIBL is easy to remember...
It stands for Real-Time High Dynamic Range Image Based Lighting.
Which is exactly what it does.
 
ardenj said:
Yes, ATI Tool works with nvidia cards. Nvidia cards don't support the auto Overcocking, but it does support the "Scan for artifacts" mode. ATI Tool stresses the graphic card and CPU. And it's great because, it'll reset the timer (but still keep going) if there was an artifact, so you'd know if your card artifacts or not without having to stare at the test.

The newest betas of ATI tool now support nvidia overclocking too.
 
chrisf6969 said:
far cry, doom3, 3dmark 2005 (looped)

The thing is you need to watch for artifacts.

Many times the card will continue to run when its pushed too hard, but you'll have to pay close attention for the artifacts to know if you're really stable.
3dmark 2005 is a terrible video stress test. You need something that runs the video card 100% for un indefinite period. Farcry is pretty good for stress testingbut the default timedemos are terrible for benchmarking. A good consistant one that I made can be found on the link below.

Here
 
3DMark05 is an excellent stress test, since it pushes the card to extremes that no game will reach, since first of all the shaders are a generation ahead, and much more intense than any game so far... And secondly, it is a very GPU-heavy benchmark, the CPU does a minimum of work, so it won't delay the GPU much.
I used it to stress-test the 6800LE when overclocking it... When it didn't crash in 3DMark05, it didn't crash in anything else either.
 
I have the professional versions of 3dmark 03 and 05, they are great for stressing when looping

3dmark03 with 4xaa 16xaf @ 1280x1024 with post processing effects(basically like HDR) gives me a dismal score of 2300 on my 6800, that is what i call stressing

It does look truly beautiful though
 
mrhemmy said:
I have the professional versions of 3dmark 03 and 05, they are great for stressing when looping

3dmark03 with 4xaa 16xaf @ 1280x1024 with post processing effects(basically like HDR) gives me a dismal score of 2300 on my 6800, that is what i call stressing

It does look truly beautiful though
Does it run it for more than 15 seconds without the loading BS?

It is because of this that the demo sure is not a good stress test.
 
Back
Top