A few random security/safety questions

ObscureTerror

Limp Gawd
Some random questions for the safety gurus around here:

1) Email: Is it not a good idea to use your first initial and last name for email (free or otherwise)?

I wouldn't imagine it being a problem with a secure/crazy password, but for some reason someone recently suggested against it, though I know about a billion people (including many here) do it without worry. Is it a spam "concern"? I've a unique last name, coupled with a first initial, I don't quite understand why this was mentioned to me recently.

2) Router: I'm using a DLink gaming router with an over-sized NAT firewall, but haven't gone into it's settings to change any password, set up a net mask (which I've no clue about anyway) etc. Is it still safe?

It's passed all tests I've run through ShieldsUp! and hackerwatch.org as all of my ports being completely invisible, and the router not allowing/picking-up on any continual banging at the back doors/ports, so I'm assuming I'm good?

3) Keyloggers & Rootkits: What are the best programs to track/blog keyloggers and rootkits?
3b) With running the router, XP's firewall and Spybot, NOD32 etc. etc. is there still a concern about such things? I don't have any "weird" browsing habits or anything, but you never know, so figured I'd ask.

I used to have RootkitRevealer but lost the disc I had it on and cant find a place to download it anymore (all places I've tried the dl's are broken links... odd).

4) Encryption: Are there any proggies that can encrypt passwords so when typed they cant be tracked etc.?

ZoneAlarm (piece of bloated intrusive garbage) was the only prog I've ever seen that did that, which got me wondering if there's some type of stand-alone prog that can do the same thing.

If not, would be a great idea for someone to make one! :)

Just a few random questions, thanks ;)

e-mail...selecting a good mailhost is an important factor in how much SPAM you'll get, the better ones remove spam and viruses before they hit your mailbox. As for what convention you use for username..I don't think it matters.

Router..by default blocks all incoming traffic, which is all some of us care about. I don't know what you mean by "oversized NAT"...NAT is NAT. Unless you intentionally go in and open/forward ports..or worse..DMZ your computer, your PC remains hidden from the outside world. Now..some people also want outbound protection..in which case a conventional home grade router won't stop anything from going outbound.

Yes it's important to change your default admin password, especially if you're running wireless.

XP's firewall is incoming only..so if you're behind a NAT router, you don't need XP's firewall, as the router already does that for you. There's no benefit to adding it in this scenario.

XP's firewall is incoming only..so if you're behind a NAT router, you don't need XP's firewall, as the router already does that for you. There's no benefit to adding it in this scenario.
I'm surprised at you!

What about other people on your LAN? Unless you trust every other computer on your network (and every other computer that may gain access via wireless) 100%, then you still need a system level firewall.

e-mail...selecting a good mailhost is an important factor in how much SPAM you'll get, the better ones remove spam and viruses before they hit your mailbox. As for what convention you use for username..I don't think it matters.

Router..by default blocks all incoming traffic, which is all some of us care about. I don't know what you mean by "oversized NAT"...NAT is NAT. Unless you intentionally go in and open/forward ports..or worse..DMZ your computer, your PC remains hidden from the outside world. Now..some people also want outbound protection..in which case a conventional home grade router won't stop anything from going outbound.

Yes it's important to change your default admin password, especially if you're running wireless.

I've been using only Gmail for quite a long time now.

In terms of the "over-sized NAT", that's just what's listed as a feature of this router (on the box, feature list on Newegg etc.), though I'm not exactly sure what that means either.

Not running wireless, and the only other PC on my LAN is my wife's, but I suppose I could change the password anyway... though with router, I've yet to figure out what the default is because it's not listed in the paperwork. Maybe it's on the disc...

Haven't bothered turning off XP's firewall because it's not hurting anything. I usually gut the hell out of Windows, services etc. including the firewall, but since I'm using a hardware firewall and not software now, I just left it on with the router since there doesn't seem to be a problem with anything. Windows firewall isn't a system hog or invasive, as far as I know, so I've just left it alone.

Not running wireless, but I suppose I could change the password anyway... though with router, I've yet to figure out what the default is because it's not listed in the paperwork. Maybe it's on the disc...
If you haven't gone into the router and turned off wireless, it's running.

As for the password, it's listed in the manual. You just have to read it. Depending on the model it's either admin/admin or blank login witht the password 1234.

If you haven't gone into the router and turned off wireless, it's running.

As for the password, it's listed in the manual. You just have to read it. Depending on the model it's either admin/admin or blank login witht the password 1234.

I have read the manual. I always do, but there wasn't really a "manual" included with this router.

Already tried "admin", since that's usually the default, but that's not it. Haven't tried the "1234".

And it's not running wireless, because it's not a wireless router.

I have read the manual. I always do, but there wasn't really a "manual" included with this router.

Already tried "admin", since that's usually the default, but that's not it. Haven't tried the "1234".

And it's not running wireless, because it's not a wireless router.

Ah, sorry, didn't realize D-Link made a "gaming" router that didn't have wireless. I assume you have the DGL-4100, then. You can find the full manual here:
http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=371&#DGL-4100

By default, you log in with username admin and a blank password.

Ah, sorry, didn't realize D-Link made a "gaming" router that didn't have wireless. I assume you have the DGL-4100, then. You can find the full manual here:
http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=371&#DGL-4100

By default, you log in with username admin and a blank password.

Thanks for the link ;)
For some odd reason, the manual that's on the disc has never wanted to load... go figure.

Yeah, I literally just figured that out right before you posted (the blank password), hehe... not that I totally understand some of what I'm looking at in this thing right now, but at least I got the password set.

Yep, it's the 4100. Good router. Not a single dropped connection since I've had it. Very solid and apparently works well, since it's passed every safety test thus far.

Interesting about the malware/XP password issue, though. I've actually never heard that before.

Anyone have any other on the keyloggers/rootikit or encryption questions?

Thanks again.

Back