$99 Technet Subscriptions?

We all got that offer, and honestly I love Tech Net, I read the magazine, been virtualizing and getting aquainted with alot of software, but a $250+ yearly subscription is to high, it needs to top at 150, and its great for 99, at worst, I'd pay 250 for two years, but 250 for a year is way to high, especially in this economy, even with the extra 3 months. Comon Tech Net! Theres alot of people, needing this.

As most of us will be migrating everyone else to Windows 7, and it would behoove us all alot to have access to Tech Net, so we can help "spread". Honestly they need to get this lower, seriously.

Even at $250 it's a fucking steal... Stop whining IMO, you get access to a shit ton of software for a very reasonable rate... Not to mention all the resources and 2 free support instances with MS.

I joined with the $99 deal and I'll be renewing at the $249 with a free 3 months.

Even at $250 it's a fucking steal... Stop whining IMO, you get access to a shit ton of software for a very reasonable rate... Not to mention all the resources and 2 free support instances with MS.

I joined with the $99 deal and I'll be renewing at the $249 with a free 3 months.

This is the we want Tech Net for $99 thread, do you work for Microsoft? Does it directly benefit you? If not I suggest you leave this thread. No one is complaining about the service, but its a general consensus that for a yearly service 250 is to much. And hence we are all hoping it comes down. Is it a good value if we break down all the software included, yea it is, but its not a good value knowing it was more than half what it was last year, and secondly on this economy and the the fact microsoft is transitioning to a new OS, it would be smart of them to make it as cheap as possible. Microsoft doesn't care what a few people in the forum are talking about, so its not like this thread will change their entire policy, but with enough people talking about it, it may get their attention.

Its free economies, WE ARE ALLOWED to bitch and complain as much as we want, so IMO you can leave, and not come back. This is our $99 tech deal thread, and we are entitled to hope and dream as much as we want, so stfu about whinning. No one is, we are merely hoping for a repeat of a greal deal we got last year. Its the same thing about telling people to whine if they bought a tv for X amount, and try to price match the same tv later.

Anyhow still crossing fingers for June 1st :)

Just like nobody is FORCING anyone to renew at $250.

I'm personally holding off until I get $99. Honestly, even though $250 is entirely worth it, I'd rather not spend it.

wow I hate myself so much for not jumping on this last year... I had thought that the software would lock down after the subscriptions expired like with win7 beta..

Btw do you need anything special to sign up or can you just sign up like ordering a part from newegg?

Well, Michelle from Microsoft called me today on my way home from work. She wanted to know if I would like to renew over the phone for the $249 price with the additional 3 months free. I told her I hadn't made a decision yet. She agreed to call me back on Tuesday, which I believe is the day my subscription expires.

Is Microsoft hard up for cash that they trying to push the renewals?

Well, Michelle from Microsoft called me today on my way home from work. She wanted to know if I would like to renew over the phone for the $249 price with the additional 3 months free. I told her I hadn't made a decision yet. She agreed to call me back on Tuesday, which I believe is the day my subscription expires.

Is Microsoft hard up for cash that they trying to push the renewals?

Maybe, I had the same exact conversation, and the rep was great, also a lady, though not sure what her name was. She was aware MANY customers signed up for $99, she told me she had the same conversation many times. I honestly explained to her, I love technet, Its a great way to experiment and try out new OS'es. I wouldn't have tried Vista 64 and Windows 7 RC1 otherwise. I asked her for either $250 for two years, $99 like last year, or at least if I pay $250 I want the plus version of tech net with physical media or something. She said they are under strict rules not to offer anything, and also offered to call me back June 2nd.

I think they are testing the waters, and well find out on June 1st. Its tempting to renew, because I love the service, but not sure I can afford to at that price. a $250 annual fee is way to high, for something thats a nice bonus. I have my retails copies of Windows XP, and Offices, but its been great playing with Vista, Windows 7.

Comon Microsoft if your listening, give us a bone :)

I'm holding out for 1yr @ under $150 or 2 yr @ $250, as well. I've had my sub for nearly 5 years now, and of all the things I can cut in my budget, that makes the most sense - especially when you legitimately don't use the OS's or software in non-production environments.

But I'm def. sub'd for this thread.

the direct link to the free technet sub is still working, despite the survey being closed.

also, that link is generic, and its questionable as to how they even keep track of who did the survey or not.

in any case, you can very easily just order a free sub right now and it will work, nobody knows for how long though. at the very least you can grab yourself some free vista and office07 keys... the morality of that is questionable too, i know.. but at the same time its not like microsoft is accidentally giving out subs- they have the power to close that order form at any time.

Most of the time they knock these deals dead.... I'm not even going to waste time trying.

no survey emails yet... direct link order page is down, all technet 'freebie' links are broken now.

but the sub i got DOES still work....

edit, this link still works apparently. really strange what is going on here. you would seriously think they would pull that order page down if the offer isnt being offered anymore.

Last edited:
Same here. I've already downloaded everything there is that I'd want to download, and took all the keys I could (just in case), but I do look forward to the surveys. I'm more than happy to help if it means I've got a Technet subscription when Windows 7 comes out.

i dont know. some people online are saying MS will kill the keys if the technet sub gets thrown out... but something tells me that simply won't happen. microsoft never fucks with keys in my experience, once theyre good theyre good

Back