9800pro AiW startup problem, read before buying one

Griffen

Limp Gawd
I recently bought a BB ATi 9800pro AiW card. I did not expect to have any difficulties, however I couldn't get my computer to start with the card installed. When the power button is pressed all that happens is a momentary spin up of fans and then the computer loses power and will not start again (unless you unplug the psu for a bit and try again, but the same thing happens).

And before I recieve a ton of suggestions I should say that i've tried just about everything. Tried the card plugged into it's very own line straight from the psu... Tried putting it on a line that had every molex attatched to something... tried removing all pci devices... flashed my mobos bios to the latest rev... etc

Actually the only way i could get the system to boot and load windows with the 9800aiw installed was to disconect it's power line, start the computer, wait about three seconds, and then plug the molex connector into the 9800. Then it seemed fine. I don't know if that's good for the card or the rest of my system for that matter but obviously that's not an acceptable solution.

From doing some searching on forums around the net it seems that this is an inherent flaw in the AiW series (9700's too), caused by the the AiW card momentarily drawing too much voltage from the 5v line causing the psu to shut itself off as a failsafe. While it seems to be much more common with shuttle SFF systems (due to low watt psu's), quite a few full atx systems are also affected. It seems that higher quality psu's are the ones usually affected by this problem since they have more stringent over-voltage protection.

Not all hardware is affected, and people with asus nforce2 boards don't seem to be affected, nor are those with lower quality psu's.

It bothers me that ati makes no mention of this issue on their website or in the card's manual. If anyone can think of a suggestion or knows if there is a revision of the card that doesn't have this flaw I'd like to hear it.

I'll be on the phone with ATi quite a bit tomorrow i think, i'll let u know what i find out. I called Antec already, they are aware of the problem and all the help they could offer was that I would probably need a different powersupply and said that there is no way to override the automatic shutdown feature of the truepower models, atleast no way that they would be willing to recomend.

:mad: dammit ati, way to screw me over

Back