9800 pro cooling

jagec

[H]F Junkie
Hey, I ordered the 9800 pro a few days ago to replace my tired 8500. Based on some recommendations, I also ordered some Radeo Shack heatsinks for the RAM, since I plan to do some overclocking. However, I'm not sure what to use to cool the GPU, or if anything is required above the stock cooling. I notice some people are using the VGA Silencer, that looks like a good concept for good, quiet cooling, but it *looks* like it overlaps the RAM. Any thoughts? I don't want it to be too much noisier than stock, but a little bit is probably OK.

Betcha icewindus will cover this one... :)

Probably the VGA Silencer would do you the best, however if you do not have a PCI slot to give it is not an option. That being said, the link is

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/products/vga_silencer/

Its a beast but it gets the job done. In addition you'd probably want a fan to blow over those RAM sinks, considering that the VGA silencer would be impeding much of the airflow over the entire card.

b0b

VGA silencer works good and, I still fit ocz ramsinks underneath it.

I have a 9800 Pro and I used the heatsinks from Radio Shack for ramsinks. They're a tad bulky so I can't advise the Silencer in good faith. Personally, I chose a Crystal Orb and slapped some Arctic Silver 5 under the core. Works well. Expect 15-20 MHz more on the core. The Crystal Orb puts out 26.4 decibels, acceptably quiet.

Not to hijack but does the huge ass heatpipe work better for a cooling system if you have fresh air being blown over it?

Maxx:

Quick question:

When you used Arctic silver 5 on the GPU core did you put a small dab in the centre, or spread it thin across the core with a knife, etc.

I just bought some AS5 that I wanted to put on a radeon 9800pro and I've read that the application is now different than AS3 was.

Thanx!

Kared

Thermaltake giant 2 will work anywhere.. and so will the zalman hp80C.. as long the thing heatpipe has a fan attached to it, it will perform well..

as for the vga silencer.. i heard its good too..

any of the big assed heatsinks should do you good!

Couldn't be a happier owner here....:D

superexhaust.jpg

I used AS 5 with my vga silencer, I just put a small dot (half the size of a grain of rice) in the center of the die.

With as5 its best to let the gpu/cpu cooler spread the paste out with its weight.

Back