9800 Pro and FS04

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum...but wondering if anybody has heard if ATI has released a solution to the known issue that the 9700 and 9800 RADEON models have with the display in flight simulator 2004? I have the latest catalyst 4.7 drivers and have looked all over the net trying to find if someone else has a solution. The buildings in the distance look like barber poles and most of the scenery flickers, or looks similar to a checkerboard. Anybody have any ideas? I've been fiddling around with Direct 3D settings, althoguh seems like if I change that, then other games are affected. Thanks!

- Colin

Nope, just fs04. I installed my old flight simulator 02 and maxed everything out and seemed to be getting between 25-80 or more fps. So it seems to be a problem with the '04 version, or something between the '04 version and the graphics stuff. I don't know very much about it...

I tihnink you have a specific issue- FS2004 is fine for me, looks better than with Nvidia hardware, and much faster since the 9800 does not AA the textures. I used to get a massive FR hit with clouds on a 5900XT or my old GF4. Now I run above 30 FPS consisitently- even in extremely dense scenery/AI areas.

The 9800 is far superior. IQ and framerates it's a winner hands down. I bought a 5900XT a few weeks back due to a dying 4600Ti thne traded it in over teh weekend for a 9800 Pro from BB.

I'm pretty hardcore as far s fs 2004 is concerned- Flying into Atlanta used to eb a slideshow with all of the Delta traffic. Now It runs at over 20 FPS on an A64 3200 with the 9800 Pro. the 5900 was under 10 FPS.

The Radeons do not apply AA to textures. Clouds are textures and would kill the Nvidia stuff. the Radeons don't even blink.

I could still benefit from an X800 though, but that will be a while.

so what are you doing? I mean, how are your setting and sliders? I have the catalyst 4.7 drivers and directx 9b as I couldn't find c out there...what resolution, and that's over 20 fps from an outside chase cam view with a draw distance of approx 110? Inside the cockpit I get much higher as half the screen is, for the most part, stationary...but high terminal areas I get between 10-20fps, however the scenery is flickering with a barber pole pattern. I'd post a pic on here but I don't know how..

thanks

Back