9600 GT - Graphics/ 9600 GSO - Physx?

lathode

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm going from an 8800 GTS 320mb to a 9600 GT 512mb and thinking of using a 9600 GSO for physx. I have an Abit IP35 Pro, so the 2nd PCIE x16 slot runs at x4. Will I have any issues with this setup? I got the GSO for only $50 so I figured why not. But I have another PC I could put it in if it won't make much of a difference in games. I just hope there will be more games supporting physx, particullary rpg/rts.

Even an 8600GTS would be overkill if dedicated to PhysX.

I'm running a 9800gtx as my main card, and an 8800gts for Physx. This is in an Asus P5B Deluxe (similar to IP35 Pro, second PCIe slot runs at 4x). Working fine for me. I also run folding@home on both GPUs, and the 4x slot definitely seems to gimp the performance of the card in the 4x slot - which surprised me.

Bummer is Vista 32-bit, between the 512mb + 320mb graphics memory, my 4gb RAM gets whittled down to 2495mb! :( Should have done 64-bit, darn it! Maybe I can find a cheap 8600 with 128mb ram for physx to free up some memory? :D

Bummer is Vista 32-bit, between the 512mb + 320mb graphics memory, my 4gb RAM gets whittled down to 2495mb! :( Should have done 64-bit, darn it! Maybe I can find a cheap 8600 with 128mb ram for physx to free up some memory? :D

Just install 64 bit, the license keys will all work for both versions.

For demos and GPGPU, of course, but anything faster than the Ageia PPU isn't going to make a difference in hardware PhysX supporting games for a while.

For demos and GPGPU, of course, but anything faster than the Ageia PPU isn't going to make a difference in hardware PhysX supporting games for a while.
If I remember correctly, there are a couple of PhysX enabled games that let you set physics effects far beyond what the Agia card was capable of. Using a faster video card for PhysX might very well allow you to play at these higher modes.

A couple of old games that no one is interested in anymore. :p I can only recall one game that had a mode beyond standard Ageia PhysX settings.

Cell Factor played mediocre even with a PPU, but unfortunately it hasn't been patched to use GPU PhysX. That game would probably benefit too.

Wrong... UT3 runs better with a single 8800GTX (as GPU&PPU) than it does with the 8800GTX + Ageia PPU card.

Cell Factor played mediocre even with a PPU, but unfortunately it hasn't been patched to use GPU PhysX. That game would probably benefit too.

Also wrong... Cellfactor runs GPU PhysX just fine (just like UT3 the single 8800gtx did better than the Ageia card).

I'm running a 9800gtx as my main card, and an 8800gts for Physx. This is in an Asus P5B Deluxe (similar to IP35 Pro, second PCIe slot runs at 4x). Working fine for me. I also run folding@home on both GPUs, and the 4x slot definitely seems to gimp the performance of the card in the 4x slot - which surprised me.

It's not the 4x slot hampering your folding performance, it's a known issue with mismatched cards. If you have cards with differing number of shaders, the card with the lower shader count will perform much worse than it normally would.

Back