"8500 on 3Dmark06 with 8800GT" Follow up

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
Well some of you may remember the topic I made about getting 8500 on 3dmark with my system.

Well I reinstalled Windows from my IDE hard drive to my SATA hard drive and got 9500.

Now is it possible that my IDE drive bottlenecked it or could it just be some type of software issue. What i don't get is I reformated/reinstalled before and I still got the same results but now that it's on my SATA drive I get better.

Do I have room to OC my 8800GT or is it being BNed by my 4000?

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultanalyzer.jsp?projectType=14&XLID=0&UID=13890211

P.S.

To all of you who said 8500 was good for my system and there was no way my rig could get higher. Fuck you :D

You could try OC your GPU but I doubt it's going to make much of a difference. 2185 CPU marks is where your bottleneck lies.

The CPU is the bottleneck as is with all X2 CPUs in the 2.5 - 3.0GHz range will only get around 1900-2200 CPUmarks. You can OC the card a bit but it really won't do much.
3dmark069492marksxfxcc9.jpg

As you can see, we have the same results and the same CPU bottleneck.
Rig in sig, your CPU is 200MHz faster than me, that gets you exactly 20 more mark overall :p

This is why 3DMark is a load of shit. I've seen rigs with 8600s that get 10,000+ 3DMarks, only aided by their insanely overclocked CPUs to compensate for their lower GPU scores. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about it too much.

This is why 3DMark is a load of shit. I've seen rigs with 8600s that get 10,000+ 3DMarks, only aided by their insanely overclocked CPUs to compensate for their lower GPU scores. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about it too much.
Exactly. Too many people believe X2's can't play games well because of this synthetic benchmark. Despite popular belief, comparing e-peens is not a real-world game.

edit- frustration not directed at anyone giving advice. If the end goal here is to get the 3DMark score up, the CPU is indeed bottlenecking. Don't mean to threadcrap.

first and foremost, congrats on your thousand point improvement.

28_700_999.jpg
cpu_z.jpg
ati_tool.jpg

I have been reading up on 939 overclocking and finally broke 10k in 3DMark06 with my 8800GT at 700 core / 1000 memory and 2.8GHZ on the X2 4800+. The one current gen game that I play is UT3 and I can run it at 62 FPS (which is max frame rate) @ 1680 x 1050 with all settings maxed, so my 3DMark06 score is irrelevant. I think it is funny that nVidia has UT3 in their tri-SLi ad campaign when it can be maxed on a single card with previous gen cpu.

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultanalyzer.jsp?projectType=14&XLID=0&UID=13891947

Too much of 3dMark is based on CPU score, I got roughly 2500 points higher than you, mostly because I got 50% higher than your cpu, and I got a smidge higher on both SM2 and 3 probably due to an overclock/better performing chipset overall. It really doesn't mean much in the real world though, so don't worry about it. If you want a higher 3dmark, just go to core2/phenom even though that won't change up any in-game performances too much.

I scored 9700 w/ my GTX and my dual core Opteron 165 @ 2.7 ghz.

Your score in 3dmark is definately limited based off CPU, so it does show the weakness of synthetic benchmarks. If you went and played crysis, I doubt you would notice much of a difference in comparison to a core 2 duo system.

15,500 w/ the system in my sig :D

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=5024038

3800 x2 is the same as the 4000 x2 but one is just factory clocked lower correct?

If so, what are your OC settings to get it stabily to 2.9ish.

3800 x2 is the same as the 4000 x2 but one is just factory clocked lower correct?

If so, what are your OC settings to get it stabily to 2.9ish.

There's no simple setting that will work for everyone. You'll need to read up in to the basics of overclocking in your BIOS and go from there. Generally you want to start with lowering your DRAM settings to say 100MHZ (or whatever the lowest option is) and then slowly cranking up your CPU FSB. This will ensure that if you don't post it's not the ram that's limiting you. It takes ALOT of time finding your maximum stable over clock speeds. If you're willing to put in the time and tedious failed posts, then by all means play around with it!

Well i've OCed my shit but it doesn't seem to OC as good as it should be able to (stabily)

Settings:

270 x 10.5 = 2.84ghz
HT Multi is at 4x (HT Link = 1080)
Ram is at 667, running at 405 Frequency 4-4-4-12-2T settings

With those settings it can't complete Orthos but i'm going to test it out with regular shit like gaming/ect and see how it does. I don't give a shit if it can't complete Orthos or Prime95, as long as it doesn't BSOD or anything like that it's good enough for me.

I agree. I used to think 3dmark was where it was at, but playing CoD4 MP last night, full settings at 1280x1024 and getting 70-81fps was a real treat. Not seeing that my pc is only worth ~10,500 marks...

3dMark has always been a joke for comparing different systems or gaming performance.

We would all be better off if everyone forgot about Futuremark and their rediculous software.

your weak score corresponds to your weak cpu. I got over 14k with my 8800gt on a intel cpu

your weak score corresponds to your weak cpu. I got over 14k with my 8800gt on a intel cpu

go fanboy go !!! when intel wins, SO DO YOU ! your life suddenly has meaning !

wow, I wonder why you don t provide a link... actually, no one cares. thnx for posting.

Definitely a CPU issue. I score about 9K with my setup in sig. I build a new machine for a client with a E6550 and a HD3850 that actually matched my score. Don't let anyone tell you that the CPU makes little difference in games, it makes a huge difference, especially when we're talking about higher end GPU's.

On another system for a client I too got about 14k with a 8800GT and Q6600

go fanboy go !!! when intel wins, SO DO YOU ! your life suddenly has meaning !

wow, I wonder why you don t provide a link... actually, no one cares. thnx for posting.

And you sir, are just feeding the troll.

On topic, 3dmark definitely relies on the CPU to calculate the final score. You can see this if you take a regular C2D and plop in a C2Q with everything the same, the score is usually higher. Like other's have said again and again, 3dmark means jack if your games are running well. I wouldn't worry so much about ePeen.

What if I were to get a 5000 BE for $100, would I see a large increase in performance?

3d mark gives a lot more points for a quad, even though it isn't much use yet

Back