£85 to spend on a new graphix card. advise needed - please read :)

Loopz

n00b
I was looking at some options and pulled these two out for a starter.

Gigabyte GF 6600 Turbo 256MB DDR, PCI-E, DVI, TV Out, Retail - DETAILS HERE

and

Sparkle GF 6600 512MB DDR PCI-E DVI & TV Out Retail - DETAILS HERE

Be interested to get some feedback on whether these cards are worthy of my cash and/or on what you would spend £85 pound on in my position remember PCI-E only.

Thanks in advance.

You're basically gunna be looking to choose between that card you found and a 6600GT.

The GT will be a little more expensive but it's possibly worth it even if it has less ram. Wait for others to reply to verify this though.

I can tell you this much FOR SURE however: do not buy from microdirect. My friend hda bad time with them recently when he bought a 9800pro. The card is/was defective but they made it really hard to get an rma sorted out. In the end, he gave up and still has the card.

www.ebuyer.com is a damn fine place for buying pc hardware in the UK. I've bought many things from them. Good service and very good price.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=UFNQcm9kdWN0U2VhcmNoUmVzdWx0cw%3D%3D

for all their 6600 cards (GT et al.)

Thanks for your reply. I've ordered once from Microdirect and it was ok for me although i had no reason to contact them after to return the hardware. Thanks for the advise on this one.

Ok maybe i should up my budget to around £120 then that way i can get a better 6600GT maybe. Be interested to hear what people rate in this range remembering i have to get PCI-E.

I found a nice page on Ebuyer with a good selection. what are your recommendations

Ebuyer Link

I wouldn't want to be the one to totally guide you here since I'm not too up on the midrange cards out there, especially since the latest generation of cards have come out.

However, I think in the price range you're looking at, nvidia provide the better options.

This link....
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/nv43-p01.html

...amongst other cards shows the performance difference between the 6600 and the 6600GT. Well worth working your way through that article.

Basically, the GT is alot more powerful, however, it has less ram. For me personally, this would be the better trade off as it would allow me to simply turn down texture sizes in a game and then get good performance. What use is more ram if you don't have the power to use it all?

But as I said, definitely wait for others to chime in... ;)

Spine - appreciate your comments and thanks for the link to the article which i will read now during works time . haha :)

Look forward to hearing other peoples comments as well.

Update to my request - my budget is now around 120 pounds

I live in England and i am in the process of buying a PCI-E card for a machine that currently has a rubbish on board graphic card. The spec is 3.0Ghz P4 with 1 1/2 gig of memory.

I started my budget at £80 but was convinced by a few that by pushing up to £120 i could probably get a good Nvidia 8600GT. Someone gave me a link to Ebuyer who have a good reputation - Link

Someone else mentioned Overclockers - Link

It would be nice to get 256 at least but obviously performance is the priority. I just dont have enough knowledge to know what would be best for my machine. This is where i hope you can help :)

Any recommendations would be great :)

Back