802.11G, Cordless Phones

SKiTLz

2[H]4U
Ok I need to grab a WAP to hook into the rest of my network. Moving one of my PC's upstairs and CAT5 will involve knocking out ceilings.. So...

Im thinking I'll go 802.11G. Just cause wireless is slow enough already...

My question is... what are the chances it will interfere with my cordless phones (also 2.5GHz)

Do they only screw with some phones or is their a good chance it'll screw me?

Thanks. Never had a need for wireless so my experience with it is slim to none.

IIRC, .11g uses 5Ghz, and .11b uses 2.5Ghz
So If you get G I don't think there will be a problem with a 2.5 phone... Unless you have B's on your network

11b/g run on the 2.4ghz band, 11a runs on the 5ghz band. you *shouldn't* notice any interference on your 2.5ghz phone as 11b/g uses 2400-2480, but there is that chance of it bleeding over, not too bad i don't think though.

no, corless phones use 2.4ghz, 2.5 is reserved for something else...

and it depends if your phone is 2.4ghz analog, then it may interfear... if its 2.4ghz digital, then it probably will not...

my 2.4ghz DSSS cordless phones from motorola do not interfear with any of my 2.4 ghz FH or DSSS wireless stuff... and it gets great range ~200 feet ... i can use it @ my neighbors house lol :)

There won't be a problem at all. There's a reason you have to pay an extra few bucks on your cell phone bill to some gov't agency - they're leasing a channel to the cell phone company for you to use. 802.11x uses "open" channels, reserved for public usage.

Originally posted by kovermours
There won't be a problem at all. There's a reason you have to pay an extra few bucks on your cell phone bill to some gov't agency - they're leasing a channel to the cell phone company for you to use. 802.11x uses "open" channels, reserved for public usage.

huh?

that IS the problem... everything is using the "open" channels and they do fight with each other a lot...

my friends crappy 2.4ghz RadioShack phone nukes all the 802.11x stuff in his house whenever somone picks it up

so yes it does happen

Cheers. Just hooked my WAP up last night.. All my phones are 2.4GHz Digital so like you mentioned FLECOM I'm not having any issues (apart from the wireless being slower than CAT5 :D)

Thanks

do not interfear with any of my 2.4 ghz FH or DSSS wireless stuff

What frequency hopping 2.4 gear are you running? Bluetooth? Anything else should be old school gear. Interested to see if it's something other than PAN bluetooth equipment.

Originally posted by ktwebb
What frequency hopping 2.4 gear are you running? Bluetooth? Anything else should be old school gear. Interested to see if it's something other than PAN bluetooth equipment.

ya old school 802.11 FH stuff from BayNetworks (aka netwave) its a BayStack 650 Access point and a pair of PCMCIA cards... i use it on my dads laptop and my gf's photo frame... basically stuff that i dont want to worry about setting up security on, but still wouldent like to allow access to my lan...

and the chances of somone having another 802.11 FH card are pretty slim

the ap looks like this one...

IMG_1539.jpg

and it has a cool telnet cli

bayap.jpg

and the chances of somone having another 802.11 FH card are pretty slim

To say the least. 2 Mb I assume. Looks similar to the WaveLan AP's I used to put in. First wireless job I ever had was 2 Mb 802.11 FH, though that was 900 Mhz. Ah, those were not the days.

Back