802.11 A VS. G? The diference?

Alias

2[H]4U
Whats the diference other than the frequency? I am useing a G network right now. But I have been considering switching to an A network. From what I understand the only diference is in the frequency. On ocasion my network will drop from 54Mbps down to 12Mbps or less. Changing the chanel fixes it, but its a PITA if I'm in the middle of a download.

I know that alot of devices use the unlicensed 2.4Ghz frequency. My problems prove it. Even when I am connected at 54Mbps I never see more than 10% network utilization, even transfering files over my network, whereas connected via a CAT 5 will get me 90% (90Mbps).

Is it worth it to get a new router and Mini PCI card? Or should I wait for some of the newer technologys to surface? Whats new? Whats coming soon? Any details on the newer devices frequency/connection speed?

Frequency is the primary difference. Both use OFDM as the modulation type and the signalling rate is 54 Mb. Throughput on both should be in the 22-30 Mb range under perfect wireless conditions. Shorter wavelength with .11a so the penetration and overall coverage of .11a cells is generally smaller but the disparity is not as much as some would have you believe. Something to consider though. A .11a WLAN will probably not have as good as coverage overall as your current 2.4 Ghz setup. If your getting alot of 2.4 Ghz interference (Phones, other AP's etc..) then you either eliminate those objects or you could move to the higher frequency of .11a (5 Ghz) Perhaps the biggest difference is price. .11a tends to be significantly more expensive. Mostly enterprise/corporate hardware these days. You could get a dual band AP/Router though. Would be able to keep your current client hardware and move to the higher frequency among your clients at your own pace.

Back