• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

8 core PCIe 3.0

modulus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 20, 2010
Messages
360
So I've been planning on basing my next upgrade and was planning to base it on an 8-core processor with PCIe 3.0. So now the current word on the street is that for intel, PCIe 3.0 will debut on 22nm processors, so Ivy Bridge in January and the 22nm variant of socket 2011 due out probably end of the year 2012.

So with nothing coming out this year having pcie 3.0 and ivy bridge most likely not having anything with 8 cores, the notion of 8 core processors with pcie 3.0 still seems like 18 months away or so.

Any thoughts?
 
Yeah, that time frame is probably accurate.

Don't overestimate the gain that would come from PCIe 3.0. There certainly are applications that could benefit from the additional bandwidth, but typical uses like games will not likely to see much, if any, benefit. The reason is that on cards with sufficient local memory, relatively little time to process a frame is caused by the transfer of data. Most common textures and static geometry are preloaded into local GPU memory. The vast majority of the rendering time spent in demanding games is waiting for the GPU to finish, not waiting for data to be transferred.

IMO, there are some pretty limited cases "needing" PCIe 3.0: 1) an unmovable personal choice, since 1 or 2 fps out of 200+ make a difference to the user (bragging rights) or 2) applications in HPC where inter-GPU communication is critical. Why not in SLI/CFX? Because the GPU communication is limited to compositing the image after rendering. Improvement from the extra bandwidth is minimal.
 
What do you have now? I remember telling my self I wont upgrade until USB3 and SATA III are out. Then I got impatient and upgraded anyways.. Few months later here comes SATA III and USB3. So I upgraded again lol. I guess you have to ask your self is it worth waiting and do you really need those things. For me I was ready to move to the newer SSD drives and SATA II wasn't cutting it. Good luck holding out though!
 
Ya I guess my point is that there is no way i'm holding out 18+ months. I was planning on getting a new system towards the end of the year so I suppose it'll be between socket 2011 or a january ivy bridge build.

My main reason for wanting pcie 3.0 is that unlike most people here I don't put together new systems very frequently. I sit on cpu/motherboard for like 5 years or so and just upgrade things like video card, memory, etc. So while pcie 3.0 probably wouldn't do jack right now, i'm pretty sure it would while I'm still using whatever motherboard I end up getting.
 
Your post was a little hazy to me, so lets lay it all out on the table.

IB will be 22nm version of SB and should be out early 2012. With the die shrink there should be an 8 core version, maybe not at launch but who knows.

Haswell will be the new core on the matured 22nm process and is expected early in 2013.

Since Nehalem debuted with enthusiast level parts its possible IB or Haswell could do the same.

PCIe 3.0? Who the hell knows. It looks like X79 won't have it (and they passed on calling it X68/69). I dont forsee an X89 chipset coming just a few months later for Ivy Bridge, I bet it will be running on X79 which would put PCIe 3.0 on late IB chips or Haswell.

Intel has been unusually weird with stuff like USB3, SATA3, and PCIe 3.0.
 
If you consider that IB will have a bigger GPU I think the space for cores will only be 6 at most on 1155?

Most reports are that any >4 core CPU will be socket 2011, which won't be 22nm IB till late 2012 as the OP said.
 
IB will be 22nm version of SB and should be out early 2012.

PCIe 3.0? Who the hell knows. It looks like X79 won't have it
:p

As mentioned in the top post, the question was about LGA 2011 IB. IB will be out for LGA 1155 first, along with a new 7 series PCH (which includes 8 PCIe 3.0 lanes). LGA 2011 models follow the LGA 1155 models by many months. SB on LGA 2011 is following SB on LGA 1155 by at least 9 months, for example.

The PCIe lanes used for graphics slot(s) are integrated into the CPU itself on SB. The X79 PCH is essentially what used to be called a South Bridge. Several Intel processor models have the entire North Bridge integrated in the CPU (IB, SB, Lynnfield: on die; Clarkdale: off die in same package).

AM3/AM3+ chipsets on AMD platforms still use NB/SB-style chips, with the NB providing PCIe lanes and lacking a main memory controller. Besides the switch from AGP to PCIe, that's essentially the same chipset configuration since the launch of K8 in 2003. On AMD platforms, the chipset (NB) supports the quantity and version of PCIe lanes used for graphics cards.

The 6 and 7 series PCH have a few (8) PCIe lanes for connecting integrated motherboard devices and is the source of the lanes used in the typical x1/x2/x4 slot(s) on a motherboard.
 
It seems Intel will run out of numbers if they don't change their chipset naming scheme, like AMD will with its graphics cards.
What will be the next chipset? X89? X90?
 
Back
Top