790i HD Corruption Issue is Real

Don't forget the reason people are paying the ~$350 price tag is because the mobo is basically claimed to be a lot for overclocking, but apparently isn't.

I didn't get data corruption until I enabled P1 + P2 last night.. Didn't take long to fuck up vista though.
This was while trying to run 500mhz fsb + memory. E8400.

I am curious about the specific circumstances and hardware configurations/usage scenarios that cause issues on the 790i Ultra SLI boards if those issues are in fact valid. I'm also curious if people are just enabling P1 and P2 settings which I've heard cause data corruption when overclocking.

What do the P1 and P2 settings do?

What do the P1 and P2 settings do?

I believe they are memory settings. I'm not 100% on this, but I believe that's what they are for. This was taken from the EVGA Forum:

According to EVGATech_JacobF's post:

"A setting of "Auto" gives you the best overclocking possible. A setting of "Enabled" gives you the best performance possible."

The full thread can be viewed here: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=337722&mpage=1&key=�� In my own testing, taking them off auto just made the system unstable. One time when I made the adjustment to P2 I had to re-image the drive as the OS became corrupt.

"A setting of "Auto" gives you the best overclocking possible. A setting of "Enabled" gives you the best performance possible."

And here I thought the whole purpose to overclock WAS to give the best performance possible. Go figure.

IMO they are like turbo mode.

With them on auto (basically disabled) your memory is gonna suck ass, at least according to the latest version of Everest. With them on auto, it was like running DDR2 800 stock with no o/c, or maybe worse, as far as memory speed goes.

With them *enabled* you are going to let your DDR3 shine.

Here's my opinion/thoughts:

Nvidia doesn't have the whole DDR3 thing down. They can either get DDR3 stable and working, but with low throughput, or...
They can make it 0wnage fast, but at the risk of corrupting your shit if you don't (very important) have the timings and voltage down pat. IMO if you have known good timings and voltage that have passed prime, etc, then you will not get corruption.

If, on the other hand, you go in playing with memory settings/voltage with P1&P2 set to enabled, you're asking for trouble (i.e. corruption).

Play with it set to auto, then when you're *sure* you have all settings perfect, kick them to enabled.

I may be wrong, but in my tweaking that's what it seems I've learned.

Back