6970 crash with full fan speed

2hotP3s

Gawd
Hi all! It's been a while since I've had a problem and needed help, so I'm asking the [H] collective for help with possible solutions. I just upgraded my computer. Everything installed fine and I was able to set up Eyefinity without problems.

My specs are (with latest drivers):
Win 7 64-bit
i7 950
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
6GB Corsair C7 RAM
X-Fi Titanium
WD HDD 1TB
Pioneer SATA DVDR
Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
XFX 6970
Powercolor Active MDP to DVI
3x 1600x1200 Samsung 204B

The problem is when I try to run a 3D app or game, the PC crashes and the videocard has the fan at full speed. Do I need more a higher power PSU or is it a bad videocard? I plan to get some help from a friend to try his 850W PSU to see if it still happens.

If I have to return this videocard should I return it to newegg for a replacement or should I RMA it to XFX? Which has a faster turnaraound? I've only had this card for two days and I still can't play a game and I also can't run 3DMark.

Thanks in advance.

One thing I did do was to take an extra 650W PSU and externally supply power to the videocard and the same still happens.

Edit: The PSU is new.

Is your computer OC'd? If so return to default and try again.

What drivers are you using for the 6970?
Were there any on there before?

If above don't work, RMA.
I'd RMA to newegg since it's less than 15 days and they are fast and no nonsense.
XFX will run you through a bunch of cookbook crap before you will eventually get the RMA.

New PC with fresh install. Running at stock speeds.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'd rather have an exchange than a refurb too.
I'm going to try to run it with a bigger PSU. If it fails as I suspect, I'll return for exchange.

I think there was someone else with this same problem, posted here somewhere. Might want to check through some of the older threads - definitely one of the newer AMD cards he was using (or was that you?). 650W should be enough power.

Thanks! I saw that topic in other forums. Turns out he was overclocked. I have stock clocks with a fresh install of OS and drivers. I also tried underclocking the card and with the fan at full speed. The card worked in UT3 for about 5 min, then crashed as before.

That guy who had that problem was using a 1000 watt Enermax PSU, that was known to have VERY little amps on the 12V rail. He fixed it by lowering his FSB, but just upgrading to a decent PSU would have worked fine.

Is it possible your card is just over heating? What case? Was there any plastic scratch protection covers on the card? Seen one guy on here have lots of problems with crashes and his card ramping up the fan, turns out he forgot to take off the anti-scratch from his card and it was covering the air intake of his card.

I am taking this from JonnyGuru of that exact PSU. So the only thing I could see here that could be the issue is the +12V Rail being the problem & not giving enough oomph for the card.

SUMMARY:

The Antec Trio is a great budget PSU. It does have solid rails, is quite efficient, quiet, has active PFC and SLI/Crossfire capable. The only thing I can't report on is longevity. Keep in mind that the Antec Trio is not built on the same platform as other Seasonics, such as the Corsair HX units, the PC Power and Cooling Silencer or Seasonic's own S12 and M12 models. But at $120, it's certainly far from overpriced.

The Good....

* Good voltage regulation
* High efficiency
* Active Power Factor Correction

The Bad....

* Couldn't handle claimed capability of +12V rail when put in the Hot Box

The Mediocre....

* Ugly gray box
* Other than the ATX cable, no sleeves on any of the cables

Try a different video card. If you system behaves normally with it than RMA the video card. I'd suggest that you RMA it to NewEgg if it comes to that.

The system runs great with another videocard. I tested this card with a borrowed OCZ 850W PSU and it still failed. Looks like a bad card. I started an advance RMA with newegg. I should have one by next week. If it also fails, I will start looking at other options.
Thanks for all the replies [H] people! :)

Back