• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

6800GT vs. ???????

digitalx0

Gawd
Joined
Jan 4, 2005
Messages
801
What does the 6800gt compete with on the ATI side? How does it stack up against the X800XL? Any recommendations for the last generation cards? This is what I'll be running with it:

xp 2400+@stock (possibly upgrade to 2500 mobile or barton and oc to 3200+)
1gb mushkin
antec trueblue 480

It might not even matter what I get video card wise (based on my current system), because whatever I get will probably be bottlenecked anyways. Anyways, any help would be great!
 
to my understanding the x800xl is faster in most games, is a hundred dollars cheaper..........however the 6800gt offers more features such as sm 3.0 etc etc. so its up to you both are good cards...........whats your budget, how much are you willing to spend, and do you care if you card isnt future proof
 
As I Lay Dying said:
to my understanding the x800xl is faster in most games, is a hundred dollars cheaper..........however the 6800gt offers more features such as sm 3.0 etc etc. so its up to you both are good cards...........whats your budget, how much are you willing to spend, and do you care if you card isnt future proof

Compared to the $1200 upgrade I was planning, just buying a 6800gt or x800xl is nothing :D

And I am aware that this is not future proofing very well, but I am just scraping the bottom of the PC enthusists barrel until possibly next summer when X2's are far cheaper. So basically I just want to spend ~250 on a card that will let me play some newer games with ease.

Why do most x800xl support opengl 2.0 while 6800gts only do opengl1.5? and how does sm 3.0 effect games?
 
digitalx0 said:
Compared to the $1200 upgrade I was planning, just buying a 6800gt or x800xl is nothing :D

And I am aware that this is not future proofing very well, but I am just scraping the bottom of the PC enthusists barrel until possibly next summer when X2's are far cheaper. So basically I just want to spend ~250 on a card that will let me play some newer games with ease.

Why do most x800xl support opengl 2.0 while 6800gts only do opengl1.5? and how does sm 3.0 effect games?


the 6800 GT's support opengl 2.0. just use the latest drivers for it.
 
Don't forget that once you overclock the 6800GT it's an insanely fast card, that's where it really shines :D
 
For non overclockers, the X800XL is the current price/performance king. Overclockers like ...well... most of us, the 6800GT, has a razor thin lead IMO.

Whoops, I just saw that you already decided...see you online. "Artillery, your area!"
 
I run a 6800gt easily oc'd to 430/1150 and a xp2400+ and i saw a huge improvement over my fx5900xt (go ahead and laugh) though the 2400 is struggling. I'm gonna grab a venice 3200+ or maybe x2 3800+ I'll see what my budget allows

I recommened the 6800gt. I love mine
 
nobrainer said:
I run a 6800gt easily oc'd to 430/1150 and a xp2400+ and i saw a huge improvement over my fx5900xt (go ahead and laugh) though the 2400 is struggling. I'm gonna grab a venice 3200+ or maybe x2 3800+ I'll see what my budget allows

I recommened the 6800gt. I love mine

You're lucky tho, you can oc your 2400 :D

I have a bad chip, its all locked up- hell i've been running my ddr400@ddr266 for 6 months
 
not all 6800 gt's overclock well.

mine runs at 375, 1050.....compared to 350, 1000 stock and 400 1100 ultra.
 
Many times you need better than stock cooling to really make them shine, or at least modify the stock cooling (AS5). THe problem is that many of the X800XLs don't overclock well. Even when they do, the highest 3DMark05 I'm seeing on the ORB is 6,800 with an extreme overclock. Extreme overclocks on GT's are hitting near 8,000. Heck, my everyday overclock gets me 6k in 3DMark. I thought about the same things when I went to purchase my 6800GT, and I got it anyway and couldn't be happier.
 
Back
Top