64-bit flash preview for Windows available now.

devil22

2[H]4U
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

Not final, but better than nothing. Unfortunately some of my critical add-ons (last pass) aren't 64-bit ready, so I can't use this, but at least there's some progress on the 64-bit front.

Edit: I was wrong, LastPass is available for IE x64, IE9 x64 is now my main browser. :D

Last edited:
Well this is certainly a shot clear outta the blue, never even thought they'd get around to it within the next year or so. How very interesting indeed...

I wonder what the benefit is to a 64bit flash?

64-bit programs can have much greater security than 32-bit programs on even a 64-bit OS, because of something called ASLR, which randomizes memory addresses. With 32-bit you are limited to a few hundred/few thousand addresses, with 64-bit you can have trillions. Where as malware might try to "out guess" ASLR on 32-bit, I doubt they'd ever try against 64-bit. As it is though, MS uses the same algorithm for 32-bit and 64-bit ASLR, but that could change in a future Windows release. Other than that, probably no benefit.

Wow. It took them from April 25, 2005 (Windows XP x64 release date) to September 15, 2010 to come up with a functional preview.

I've been frustrated by lack of this for a long time. I hate Adobe.

EDIT: I was just thinking. In the time it took them to release this, we have had 2 major versions of IE (and beta of a 3rd) and 2 major versions of Windows. By they time this is a production release, they may very well have been beat by the Duke Nukem Forever release.

Last edited:
I wonder what the benefit is to a 64bit flash?
Same as 64 bit java. You can run 64 bit browsers, which some of us want to do. Right now your only choice for something that is tight is IE 8/9 64 bit. FF 4 x64 isn't happening now so we'll have to wait for a while on that.

Same as 64 bit java. You can run 64 bit browsers, which some of us want to do. Right now your only choice for something that is tight is IE 8/9 64 bit. FF 4 x64 isn't happening now so we'll have to wait for a while on that.

Hmm, what's wrong with Minefield? Works with Flash Square x64 plug-in, and generally seems fine.

Back