• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

5970 crossfire help

tom736928

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 14, 2010
Messages
126
Does work in Catalyst 10.2 on some games, but I have read more problems than not with crossfire and eyefinity with 10.2. Others will have to post their opinions of 10.3, but I have read good and bad news about it. Google is your friend.
 
Last edited:
Yes it does work, ever since 10.2 drivers (there were also some hotfix drivers of the 9 series that made it work)

What games, resolution, processor, AA, etc all this is need to be known before we can tell you if you will get some major boost in frame rates.
 
Don't do it. It would technically "work" i.e. you would be able to run games, but any more than 2 GPUs is currently broken when using Eyefinity. Running triple or quad crossfire in Eyefinity produces extreme FPS degradation and two GPUs will be much smoother.

However, extra GPUs will increase performance if you run on a single monitor albeit with limited scaling.

Unfortunately, I found this out myself when I tried to run triple Crossfire.

P.S. to the poster above... I can confirm triple or quad crossfire is still broke on 10.2 and 10.3 drivers.
 
I read that it is broken with more games than not with Catalyst 10.3 and using only 2 GPUs
 
I also just picked up two His 5970's. Single screen gaming with quadfire works awesome for BC2, Dirt, and a few other. Eyeinfinty however is nothing but problems. I can get games to run with a single card without to much fuss. But with two its non stop issues. Horrible FPS, and other odd problems.
 
On the same subject does anyone else with two 5970 get the same temperature and noise issues I do?

With 1 card temps are 40c idle and about 80-85 load. Fan is loud but bearable.

With two cards I am seeing the top card staying at 65-70c idle and 95c load. The lower card is hitting 45c idle and 65c load. A big difference between the two. And it sounds like a small plane taking off in my room. Coming from a 295 SLI setup I was used to noise, but these cards are insanely loud.

I have a cosmos s case with 9 120 fans and air flow has never been an issue.
 
ryan , it seems that im not the only one with the issue, i thought it was just my card but it seems that you are having some high temperature too.
 
I used to run dual 5970s. I gave up on it because the drivers just don't support the full power of all 4 gpus, either in games or benches. Tried 10.3a, and it was a mess. 2x 5970 just isn't worth it with the current state of drivers and I'm just not willing to wait for them to 'mature' anymore. Going to stick with my single 5970 now until a 4GB model comes out, then I'll probably upgrade to that.
 
Last edited:
On the same subject does anyone else with two 5970 get the same temperature and noise issues I do?

With 1 card temps are 40c idle and about 80-85 load. Fan is loud but bearable.

With two cards I am seeing the top card staying at 65-70c idle and 95c load. The lower card is hitting 45c idle and 65c load. A big difference between the two. And it sounds like a small plane taking off in my room. Coming from a 295 SLI setup I was used to noise, but these cards are insanely loud.

I have a cosmos s case with 9 120 fans and air flow has never been an issue.

Been there, done that. The likely problem is that you've got both video cards sandwiched together, which means, there's no airflow to the top card. The proper remedy is to space the video cards further apart, then use an EXTENDED Crossfire bridge to connect them. Note: Extended bridges are sometimes hard to find. You will experience heat issues until you fix the spacing.

Incorrect spacing:
103_6344.jpg


Correct spacing:
103_6349.jpg
 
I just picked up a second 5850. When I crossfire, my grouping disables and the option to create a group is no longer there. Once I disable crossfire I am able to create a group again. I can only crossfire OR have an eyefinity group. I can't do both. I've tried 9.1, 9.12, 10.1, and 10.2 with the same results. I've reinstalled windows, just the chipset drivers, and then tried loading 10.2 with the same results. Has anyone else had this problem?
 
Yes, everyone - crossfire doesn't work with Eyefinity up to 10.2 drivers. Only on the 5970 card which is a crossfire card in one.
 
Yes, everyone - crossfire doesn't work with Eyefinity up to 10.2 drivers. Only on the 5970 card which is a crossfire card in one.

I've had people tell me they can run eyefinity and crossfire on theire 5870's. I think it works for some, but not for others. I started another thread on this topic.
 
So does anyone know if 5970x2 crossfire works for eyefinity with the new 10.3 drivers?
 
Back
Top