• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

5870: low resolutions and interpolation?

No it's not, Digital Vibrance is a level adjuster coupled with a saturation booster. I have argued this so many times I am sick of it. ATI having a better default color scheme was also said hundreds of times. I don't agree with this either. I need to crank up the saturation a lot.



I owned a 9800 Pro, X800 XT PE, X850 Pro, X1950, I don't recall any of them having saturation controls at all. They only had options for hue, gamma, brightness, and contrast.

This is all moot now, because I can almost achieve what I want in CCC just fine by tweaking the brightness and contrast in the color options and then go into the individual display menus to access Avivo color.

I have both card, and I can clearly tells you that is the damn same thing..

digital vibrance on 50%+ is just making colors looks weird and ugly..
not quite sure why you even want that option, you can do the exact thing in ATI but different type of control, just go to Desktop property and go to color then you can set pretty much the same thing there.
beside you need to set the colors yourself..

also, ATI default color scheme IS better, and is largely accept by majority..
I didn't know that until I switch my cards around, and colors have been change dramatically. Its really noticeable in some games, such as Resident Evil 5 atmosphere, its entirely different..

if you don't agree with me thats fine, everyone have different eye and opinion...
 
Is this what AVIVO upscaling looks like??

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4619/crapa.jpg

This is f*cked up! I can't believe the amount of crap that's not getting filtered!

for anyone interested, movieclip specs:
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Codec : XVID
Bit rate : 1 496 Kbps
Width : 624 pixels
Height : 336 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.857
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
 
Is this what AVIVO upscaling looks like??

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4619/crapa.jpg

This is f*cked up! I can't believe the amount of crap that's not getting filtered!

for anyone interested, movieclip specs:
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Codec : XVID
Bit rate : 1 496 Kbps
Width : 624 pixels
Height : 336 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.857
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive

That's probably just because WMP is crappy. Use a proper media player (MPC/VLC) and enable all the FFDSHOW filters and post processing that you desire.
 
Honestly what you're complaining about has very little to do with your video card. No matter what, if you're not running at your LCD's native resolution, it's going to look much crappier and you WILL get aliasing. Also that video file looks like crap because of it's encoding, not because of the video card. What you're looking for is an upscaler, some TV's have them and a few high resolution monitors do as well, see this... http://techgage.com/article/gateway_xhd3000_30-inch_wide-screen/3 Anyway, the fact of the matter is that what you're complaining about really has little merit. Both the ATI and nVidia screen shots you posted before look pretty crappy, it's what you get for not running at native resolution, and honestly with a 5870 there is no reason not to run at native resolution. If it's an older game then just run it in windowed mode, but if that's the case why are you running such high end hardware for such old games?
 
No it's not, Digital Vibrance is a level adjuster coupled with a saturation booster. I have argued this so many times I am sick of it. ATI having a better default color scheme was also said hundreds of times. I don't agree with this either. I need to crank up the saturation a lot.



I owned a 9800 Pro, X800 XT PE, X850 Pro, X1950, I don't recall any of them having saturation controls at all. They only had options for hue, gamma, brightness, and contrast.

This is all moot now, because I can almost achieve what I want in CCC just fine by tweaking the brightness and contrast in the color options and then go into the individual display menus to access Avivo color.

Eh, I'm pretty sure Avivo color is only color adjustments for video playback, there definitely is a saturation level adjuster if you go into individual monitor properties though (it's not in the same area as contrast/brightness/hue/gamma).

I don't think we're talking about the same location since Avivo settings have their whole own category.
 
Eh, I'm pretty sure Avivo color is only color adjustments for video playback, there definitely is a saturation level adjuster if you go into individual monitor properties though (it's not in the same area as contrast/brightness/hue/gamma).

I don't think we're talking about the same location since Avivo settings have their whole own category.

Correct. Per monitor you can edit the Gamma/Brightness/Contrast for all channels or R/G/B independently in one location. And then, in a different location (but again per monitor), you can edit hue, saturation, brightness, contrast, and color temperature. Why there are two locations to edit the settings, I don't know. But those are all the options.
 
stretching without any form of anti-aliasing does not meet my definition of upscaling. To each his own.

Upscaling is merely taking one resolution and making it fit a larger resolution. Any further post scaling effects you want applied are completely different for each range of cards, if it's important to you, then you should check before you buy.

If there was some accepted 1 best way of scaling which was clearly better than the others, or a method of scaling which was perfect then maybe you could argue that it's not used, but scaling is neccessarily not possible to do perfectly, it's an inherent problem with trying to create more data than you've started with...so scaling is always going to be personal preference and as such you need to review the options and make a choice, that's your responsability when buying a card.
 
Agreed, to me, the sharper, unblurred scaling looks better.

Perhaps the OP is just used to something else.
 
Back
Top