Hi Folks. I posted this earlier but it appeared in the AMD processor threads for some reason . I have put it here as it may be more use. Apologies if I did something wrong being a noob and all.
Do you have the dreaded fan rattle problem? I picked up a cheap 5850 that rattled when installed in upright PC. The rattle went away if I turned it on its side.I noticed about 2mm of in/out play and the rattle was caused by the fan catching the cover at the front. What the hell it was cheap so I took it apart. First I removed all screws from the back including the 4 spring loaded ones on the X bracket. There are 2 small screws at the front above the I/O ports. lifted off the cover and unplugged the fan lead. A few tiny screws hold the metal base plate into the plastic outer cover. I could see the marks inside the cover where the fan was catching so I cut some of the plastic away with a sharp knife then sanded it down with fine paper. I put the cover back on the fan, turned it upside down and spun it. No catching..so far so good. Then I cleaned off any thermal paste from the heat sink and chip. Replaced with a spot of Arctic silver and put it all back together. All is now working perfectly and quietly. I dont know if this is what causes all 5000 series rattles but if the noise goes away when you lean the case over then it probably is this. It really was nothing to be afraid of as long as you work carefully, remember what goes where and have the right tools because those little screws are tight. if you have to use any force then there is still a screw in somewhere so dont crack the plastic.Hope this helps somebody.
One other thing I discovered if you crossfire with Eyefinity using cat 10.3. If you can only run games on 3 screens or on one screen in WINDOWED mode withot flickering/ tearing. Try using a DVI monitor as the main central display and DP driven monitor on the outside. For some reason my system did not like the DP as main monitor.
Do you have the dreaded fan rattle problem? I picked up a cheap 5850 that rattled when installed in upright PC. The rattle went away if I turned it on its side.I noticed about 2mm of in/out play and the rattle was caused by the fan catching the cover at the front. What the hell it was cheap so I took it apart. First I removed all screws from the back including the 4 spring loaded ones on the X bracket. There are 2 small screws at the front above the I/O ports. lifted off the cover and unplugged the fan lead. A few tiny screws hold the metal base plate into the plastic outer cover. I could see the marks inside the cover where the fan was catching so I cut some of the plastic away with a sharp knife then sanded it down with fine paper. I put the cover back on the fan, turned it upside down and spun it. No catching..so far so good. Then I cleaned off any thermal paste from the heat sink and chip. Replaced with a spot of Arctic silver and put it all back together. All is now working perfectly and quietly. I dont know if this is what causes all 5000 series rattles but if the noise goes away when you lean the case over then it probably is this. It really was nothing to be afraid of as long as you work carefully, remember what goes where and have the right tools because those little screws are tight. if you have to use any force then there is still a screw in somewhere so dont crack the plastic.Hope this helps somebody.
One other thing I discovered if you crossfire with Eyefinity using cat 10.3. If you can only run games on 3 screens or on one screen in WINDOWED mode withot flickering/ tearing. Try using a DVI monitor as the main central display and DP driven monitor on the outside. For some reason my system did not like the DP as main monitor.
Last edited: