• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

5770 at 90c?!

Imitation

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
2,536
So I got a 5770 a few weeks back, its the stock xfx with the reference cooler, not the egg cooler. I also have a reverse atx case so it sits toward the top of my case. I've already adjusted my intake fan to get more fresh air to it and it dropped from 90-91 to 88-89 at full load running furmark. The fan sounds like a jet plane running at ~70% speed according to gpu-z. Is this a legit temp for this card and setup? Should i take the heatsink off and try to reseat it or something? Or did they screw me by putting a HSF that's barely up to the job on these cards?
 
How is your case airflow? I wouldn't worry about the temps - I believe these cards can go higher, now if the fan was pegged out at 100% maybe. If you are really worried I would work on case airflow or look into an aftermarket cooler.
 
How is your case airflow? I wouldn't worry about the temps - I believe these cards can go higher, now if the fan was pegged out at 100% maybe. If you are really worried I would work on case airflow or look into an aftermarket cooler.

Yeah I'm contemplating an antec super cyclone slot cooler cause the heat just pools at the top of my case i think. Not sure adding that will make THAT big a diff tho, maybe i'll try running with the side off to see if i get substantially better temps or not. Thing I hate is that the arctic cooling fan is 20 bucks and is the exact cooler the powercolor cards are using. Might be better off trying to return or swap someone for an egg cooler. I had hoped the ref cooler would exhaust enough air that it wouldn't have any issues.
 
What case is it? Do you have room to cut a blowhole?

I know in mine I am surprised how much heat stays in the case from my 5870 - I have 4x 120s blowing out at the top and the air still feels warm.
 
Here's the case I've got, http://www.aerocool.us/case/CoolView/CoolView-feature.htm

The top usb pod thing is just in the wrong place. It sits just far enough back i'm not sure a 120mm fan would fit. I also don't have access to a dremel anymore so by the time i bought a dremel I could almost buy a new case with a real blow hole :)

My 8800GT i had before was watercooled in my loop, and at first i didn't think the mcw60 would fit but it appears some people have gotten it attached fairly well, that might be my best option at this point for sound and temps.
 
Your temps do sound a bit high. Certainly Furmark will burn that gpu. But 90ºC alongside 70% fan speed is higher than normal. I have the same card you do. If I set the fan to 100% I stay in the low 60'sºC. If I let the fan run on auto it will get up to the low 80'sºC but then the fanspeed is only around 50% still. So 90ºC and 70% fanspeed does sound amiss
 
So I ran furmark with the side of the case off this evening for about 45mins and it topped out at about 80c this time so its definitely my case choking it as the heat just collects at the top of the case. even with the side off the air above the card was MUCH hotter than the air below it. So it looks like i've got some work to do to see if i can get this waterblock mounted. Should be fun finding nuts to fit on these tiny screws. I might go ahead and order the antec slot fan too, maybe all that heat killed my 8800GT i had before, even though it was watercooled.
 
I gave up on better air flow and picked up two water blocks for my 5970's. I was hitting 101c on the top card and 84c on the bottom. This in a cosmos s with 9 fans.

In your case with just 1 card better air flow setup would probaly do wonders.
 
What are the pros/cons of running automatic or manual fan control? I run mine on automatic
 
What are your temps when you're gaming and not stressing the card? BTX cases, CM Cosmos etc. are not the best cases for airflow.
 
I would agree that the cosmos (original) is not good for air flow. The cosmos s is setup a bit differently inside. I personly wouldnt buy the original cosmos.

The highest temps I have seen in the past few days has been 46c playing Bad company 2 for a few hours. Normaly sits around 36-38c just at the desktop.
 
Back
Top