56k dial-up modem recommendations

1iLeft

n00b
Any advice on a dial-up / 56k modem. Unfortunately I’m forced to move and cable is not available in my area. Dial-up is my only option.

I’m looking for a modem that allows incoming calls, (I have call waiting through my phone service) and one that would allow me to access the web with 2 or more PC’s like this one. Actiontec GS002AN201 56Kbps Ethernet Port Dual PC Modem Is that one any good? Any other recommendations

Would most any external modem be able to be networked for 2 or more PC’s? I already have this SMC Barricade SMC7004VBR router that I used to use with my cable modem. Will that router even work with a dial-up modem?

My OS is Win2k.

I hope I gave you enough info to help me with an answer. If not, please ask.

Thanks.

Gotta bump this once...

I’ve searched these forms and really didn’t find any good answers. That’s why I posted.

This is a great form and I asked several questions, I can’t believe no one can answer any of them.

That’s why I bumped. Sorry.

That Actiontec will work fine as long as you don't want to connect more than two computers unless you want to purchase a switch.

Another cheaper options is to just purchase a cheap PCI internal modem, Disable the DHCP server on the barricade and use it as a switch. Then install ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)

The benefit of the second option is that a PCI modem shouldn't cost you more than $10, and you get to learn new skills at the same time.
The downside to the second option is that your Host PC (the one with the modem in it) must be on to share the internet

The benefit to the first option is that it is easy to use and setup.
The downside is the $60 price tag.

How to Setup ICS

Back