500 gig drives or wait

jfkriege

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 28, 2006
Messages
91
i am needing two drives for trays synced nightly and switched weekly for backup. i was looking at the WD (RE2 and AAKS) and seagate drives (both .9 and .10) all in 500Gb and was first wondering if anyone had any recommendations there. speed is not as much of an issue, reliability and price are the main two factors. opinions?

my other question was about whether or not it would be worth waithing a few weeks if the terabyte drives will be hitting the market for the 750's to come down a bit or the 500's to drop in price. any info would be much appreciated. thanks.

joshua
 
anyone have any ideas or maybe just want to put down what they use as a 500 gb drive
 
I'm using 2x Seagate 500 .10's in trays for backup and offsite exactly as you describe. Works for me. I recently had to upgrade my backup set from 300's to 500's due to growth of data on the array that needed backing up.
 
Thinking there will be a decent price drop when they are released.

I use seagete 7200.10's don't get the 9's i beleive they had reliebility problems with them. I have 4 of them no problems yet.
 
I use a bunch of 500GB Western Digital drives.

Started using 500GB drives when the price per byte was the same as the 250G drives.

Started using 250GB drives when the price per byte was the same as the 125G drives.

Started using 125GB drives when the price per byte was the same as ...

$400/TB is far above $300/TB (500GB drives). I don't expect prices on 500GB to drop for a while.
 
Thinking there will be a decent price drop when they are released.

I use seagete 7200.10's don't get the 9's i beleive they had reliebility problems with them. I have 4 of them no problems yet.

i have serious problems with my 7200.10s (heat, very noisy , a lot of read and write errors, and very slow ) , never had any of those problems with my 7200.9 drives . Now im looking to replace all of my 7200.10s with the 9 series , but they are hard to get now , so maybe im switching brand . :(
 
I would wait simply because the 1TB drives should shake things up in the price department.
 
7200.10's have a new firmware update out, i had to email seagate to get it, but they gave it to me, i think aaf or aae or something is the newest firmware supposed to fix some stuff and what not. The 5 i have are very fast, also they are shipped with that SATAI jumper on them you need to take that off for sataII but i only got around 1-3% increase in speed so not really worth it. the 9's were selling on newegg really cheap a while ago, 2 months or so ago.
 
Prices are not going to change much, the 500's I expect to see peeking around $119 and occasionally to a 99 dollar sale. 400's should be placed at the 250 gig prices now. The 750's which are about 300 now I'd expect to see drop to at least 200-250ish.

The 1TB drives enter at 349 for OEM or 399 for retail boxed.. so don't expect too much of any kind of price slashing.
 
Back
Top