• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

50 Computers for $999, worth it?

Time2Kill

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jul 10, 2005
Messages
1,240
I was browsing around online and came across this: https://www.isellsurplus.com/bulkitems.asp

They have two pallates of computers, one is 20 pentium systems, for $400, not really worth it since most are under 100mhz. Although the other pallate for $999 comes with 50 systems. $19.98 per box. Can't really beat that price. Thoughts anyone?
 
Great for charitable contributions, semi-decent for edumacational (haha) applications, and semi-halfway decent as Folders. Probably not much else, unless you know someone who needs 50 thin-clients or Linux firewalls. Then again, could make some pretty good terminals given one adequate server.
 
Dang, prices on that website suck. It should be called iselloverpricedsurplus.com

As for the 50 computers I agree there are only a few that would make decent folders. I don't think you could break down the rest of the machines and get some of your money back either.
 
from what I saw the pallet of 21" crts is the best deal on the page, but then again I actually run PIII computers....
 
I wouldn't. With $1000, you could build yourself some cheap computers that would rip through more w-units than all those combined.

-MN Scout
 
take your grand and buy 3 of the Dell Specials..... you'd get better ppd out of the 3 new ones than that entire stack of crappers.
 
13.1 GHz on the $1k pallet. could probably build a couple dual core systems on the cheap and still beat that price and power.
 
yeah, not worth it, you could use that $999 to build a few good price systems for that (most likely used parts), or a relativly good system for that much.
 
But what about the [H]ard l33t factor of having all those systems folding in a beowulf cluster?
 
I'll ship yea 3 pallets, shipping included at $998.99.

It's not worth it, trust a guy who has been at the other end of ~50 of these pallets.

Great plan, much better ways to spend your money. WHat is your location, local pickup almost a must on these.
 
Komataguri said:
But what about the [H]ard l33t factor of having all those systems folding in a beowulf cluster?
133t gors out the window when we realize that:
A) Electricity bills would kill him.
B) Linux/Unix clusters would still have to fold one client per PC..... crushing the whole purpose of the cluster.
 
Back
Top