• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5.1 and mp3s

antok86

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Feb 26, 2006
Messages
8,682
how come when i use winamp to play mp3s only 2 fronts work...but when i use windows media or media player classic i get sound from all speakers??..how do i get winamp to play sound to all speakers?
 
antok86 said:
how come when i use winamp to play mp3s only 2 fronts work...but when i use windows media or media player classic i get sound from all speakers??..how do i get winamp to play sound to all speakers?

Well MP3's are only recorded in 2 channels which is the 2 fronts on a 5.1 system. Any player on my computer only plays music out of the 2 front speakers on my 5.1. You must have a plugin thats doing the 5.1 in Windows Media or Media Player Classic and dont know about it.

Do you have a codecs pack installed? Thats what probably causing those 2 programs to do it. I know Media Player Classic is included in a lot of codec packs and Windows Media shares the same codecs it uses.
 
do u know how i can get winamp to do what my other apps are doing.....if its codecs? i have klite codec pack
 
Have you tried enabling hardware acceleration?
That usually fixes it with WInamp.
 
Mister X said:
Have you tried enabling hardware acceleration?
That usually fixes it with WInamp.

Well this topic and this statement motivated me to try to Winamp to play my music in 5.1 sound. I have this enabled but still only plays on the 2 front speakers. I have the latest version also. I use the Realtek 882 integrated audio cheap. Both Windows and the Realtek Control panel is set properly. I also have the latest drivers. Any ideas or its just not possible?

I do remember on my old computer that had the 880D Realtek chip in it and when Winamp released the Winamp 5.1 Surround Sound version it worked perfectly. So I think its just a setting somewhere I have to mess with.
 
Meh I figured it out. I had to enable a environment setting in the Realtek Control Panel to get Winamp to work in 5.1. Stupid Realtek drivers.
 
Back
Top