3D Rendering Program Question

Darkmp40

Limp Gawd
What is a good 3D Rendering Program? like you see sometimes people use in their worklogs to show what it would look like.

Blender isn't good, it's just free. It's a great concept, and an ok application, but it just doesn't hold a candle to higher-end apps. The reason is simple: Blender is about technology and features, where it should be about workflow and user interface. Blender's OpenGL is great; on par with the top-tier apps, but the workflow doesn't seem to have much thought behind it at all.

To be honest, you shouldn't really focus on finding ONE good application. Instead, you should focus on learning 3D in general, and getting a good multi-app workflow.

I mostly use modo and Lightwave, but I'm planning on adding Maxwell as well.

Also, I would like to note that I'm actually working as an architectural visualizer, so I spend a good ten hours a day using 3D software.

Blender is a fantastic program to get started with on learning 3D graphics and even possibly some 3D animation. As far as "high end" programs go, the quality of the output of those programs is primarily determined by the renderer, not the modeling application. Blender isn't primarily a renderer, it's a modeling app. Tools like Yafray, or any renderer that can read the Blender file formats, can be used and generate near photo-realistic work.

Workflow is a personal preference, not the absolute rule everyone must adhere to and abide by.

All that advice in the post above seems to come off as "this is how it is written, this is how it shall be done." I know tons of people that started off using Lightwave when it first appeared way back in the day with the first Video Toaster for Amigas, used it for years, made a living using it, and then they found Blender or some other 3D application and thought, "Wow, this is so much better." A lot of converts from 3DStudio, SoftImage, etc. Blender is bare-bones simple and not a bloated pig like some of the "high end" apps have become over the years.

So saying Blender (or any other application actually) isn't good enough to get the work done is just silly. The tools aren't really the important thing: it's the creativity of the user that makes the difference.

Workflow is a personal preference, not the absolute rule everyone must adhere to and abide by.
Of course, but my general feeling is that the workflow in Blender simply wasn't paid much attention by the devs. It's not so much that it's not MY workflow, as it is that there is no real workflow. You just kind of do things randomly.

All that advice in the post above seems to come off as "this is how it is written, this is how it shall be done."
That certainly wasn't my intention.

So saying Blender (or any other application actually) isn't good enough to get the work done is just silly. The tools aren't really the important thing: it's the creativity of the user that makes the difference.
Well, I'll revise my statement: Blender's not really a bad application, as such. But it's not a terribly good one either, in my opinion.

Much better. :D

But it's still a great 3D application, simple and free that can do most if not everything "the big boys" can do, if you take the time to figure it out. Having a printed reference guide or manual is a definite plus just as it is with any of the others, also.

Back