3Com has some really nice Gigabit Switches

wasserkool

Limp Gawd
I was browsing around and saw 3Com's new 5 port and 8 port Gigabit switches. They support jumbo frames too! Moreoever, their price is really reasonable. The 5 port is only $50 while the 8 port is $85!

My whole house's networking equipment is 3Com - 2 office connect Gigabit switch, 3Com 8760 Access Point ( the best AP EVER!!) and 3Com Router! They are so much more reliable than any other brands out there!

From what I encountered at work, 3com switchs don't handle broadcasts too well. They can cause them to stall, atleast thats what happened to some of our superstacks at work. can be quite the pain.

We switched to BATM and I have to say, they are way better than the 3com imo.

So, more reliable than cisco?
Not even close. I have replaced more 3com switches than I can remember. Whet do they usually always get replaced with? Cisco... When I put a Cisco switch in, I don't have to worry about whether or not it will still be running in five years. Hell, I have a Cisco switch at a clients location that has a current uptime of over 5 years!

Not even close. I have replaced more 3com switches than I can remember. Whet do they usually always get replaced with? Cisco... When I put a Cisco switch in, I don't have to worry about whether or not it will still be running in five years. Hell, I have a Cisco switch at a clients location that has a current uptime of over 5 years!

I know this, but I was asking the OP as he said it's more reliable than any other brand. My list goes Cisco/Refurbished Cisco/Used Cisco. Five year uptime is scary, you haven't upgraded the fw yet? j/k

From what I encountered at work, 3com switchs don't handle broadcasts too well. They can cause them to stall, atleast thats what happened to some of our superstacks at work. can be quite the pain.

We switched to BATM and I have to say, they are way better than the 3com imo.

This is true, I accidentaly took out my department at work because i setup a ghost session to multicast instead of unicast, and everything just stalled.

When we go to viop in a year or two, I am hoping all our closet switches will be replaced with cisco stuff.

This is true, I accidentaly took out my department at work because i setup a ghost session to multicast instead of unicast, and everything just stalled.

When we go to viop in a year or two, I am hoping all our closet switches will be replaced with cisco stuff.

Haha, that's what I did. :)

lol guys, i am talking about home and small business products. Not enterprise stuff

lol guys, i am talking about home and small business products. Not enterprise stuff
About the cheapest things we'll put in a business as far as switches go are the Dell managed switches. They are reasonably price and perform well considering they are a re branded SMC.

Back